VGA cooler for X800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrock

In Runtime
Hey guys, I know the topic of VGA coolers has been beaten to death, but I wanted to hear from people who have personal experience using an aftermarket cooler on their X800 Pro. My buddy is giving me his bb ATI X800 pro for $175 and my ati radeon 9800 pro--->xt bios. I have the Zalman ZM80-c w/ slimfan on my 9800. I have good case cooling, and with the slimfan my 9800 runs cooler than a witch's tit.
Should I try the Arctic cooling vga, or get the Zalman Zm80D? The Zalman has been good to me, I just wonder if anyone has experience with the Arctic. Here are links to both:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-116&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-216&depa=0

Jeffrock said:
My buddy is giving me his bb ATI X800 pro for $175 and my ati radeon 9800 pro--->xt bios.

Wow, you're getting a real good deal. What did your friend do, decide to go with the superior 6800GT or Ultra?

*edit* Be sure to let me know how your experiences with the X800 Pro go....

He decided to go with the evga 6800gt. He was looking at the Ultra, but just figured he would OC it to Ultra speeds. He is gonna take my 9800 pro and put it in his backup computer. I know he wanted the 6800 from the beginning, but couldnt get his hands on one at the time, so he opted for the x800 pro. I half-jokingly told him "When you decide to pull the trigger and get the 6800, I'll take the x800 of your hands." We set up the deal the today, haha.
I think I am getting a good deal on it, and he gets to have a pretty decent backup vid card. I think I am gonna just get the arctic vga cooler.

You are getting a good deal, in fact, I think the X800 Pro is worth even up to $250, for it can play all new games on high settings. It just can't do AA and AF very well, or you can't play at super high resolutions. Its a big step up from the 9800 Pro though, but nowhere even close to the 6800GT. I take it your friend has had bad experiences with it also...

i have a zalman on my x800pro which does out perform the gt (which is a POS). Right now i run it at (555/1100).

Hehe, looks like I am coming up on a free copy of Farcry too, as my bud already has it.
ICS, have you heard of other people having the same problem as you when trying to unlock the other 4 pipes? I was hoping it would be smooth sailing to mod it to XT, maybe not.

I've thought about attempting to unlock the other 4 pipes, but that process is so risky I don't think I will attempt it. I've heard of people ruining their X800 pros that way, and I don't think that I could deal with being computerless. I will probably just wait till I have some money and get a 6800GT instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom