Very annoying comp speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckster_Man

Beta member
Hello,

Ok I have had this problem off and on for the past year or so, but up to now I have been able to solve it by doing a system restore to a point just before it happened. I have a Sony Vaio laptop, and the following is my problem:

Every so often, between 1-3 months (and so far this has only happened with my DVD-ROMs I use to backup my files) I will insert a backup DVD and it will take a little longer than normal before I will be able to access/open the files on it, and the cd drive will "rev up" for an extended period of time. When this happens, I usually create a restore point because I know what is coming.. lol.

From this point on, even if I pop the CD out, the computer runs ALMOST normal, but every 10 seconds or so it has a second of "skippy-ness" where the most noticable thing being any music I am playing distorts (as in slows down and stretches). Then, when I restart my computer, the big problem starts in:

After restarting, it takes FOREVER to load EVERYTHING. The windows XP loading screen animates twice as slow and takes 5 times longer to load, then it goes to a black screen for about a minute, then takes another 5 to start up explorer. Also, now every sound and video that plays is extremely slowed down and distorted (obviously due to the whole computer being slowed down) and everything takes forever to load. This seems to be directly tied in with my CD drive for some reason. Anyway, I usually am able to fix it by bringing it back to the restore point that I created or one before that, but this time no restore point will fix it and it is really getting on my nerves.

I have looked up similar problems on the web, and everyone's response is the same: "check for viruses, kill some processes, run disk cleaner, look at your startup items, check your ram, etc etc". I am sick of seeing all that because they have nothing whatsoever to do with what has caused the problems. Believe me, I have already all tried that the first time this ever happened. It only occurs at random times after reading a DVD-ROM excessively.

There is surely a way to fix it, because system restore usually does so that means there must be some setting or change that was made prior to this problem. I really hope someone can help me pin down this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Thank you, I will take a look at that. Sorry about posting here, in my quick overview I figured this was the closest I could come to the category. Yes, that does make me look quite newbish, doesnt it? :)

Well to be honest I was trying to avoid that. I would prefer if someone knew what the problem was so that I could attempt to repair it. I will give more details if needed.

I guess I could just make another partition and install windows to that, then transfer all my files/settings and delete the previous partition?

i understand not wanting to reformat...
but, there are literally hundreds of things that could be causing it, and most of them would be difficult to find.
yes you can create another partition for windows and install it. then you can transfer your files. bear in mind your hdd will have to have double the capacity what it is currently using.
i would suggest installing windows on a say, 35-50gb partition that you create and then creating ANOTHER partition for the remainder of your hdd for your files and such, then transfer them. this way, if you have to reformat again, you do not have to transfer any files from point a to point b, just install a few basic drivers. when they are transferred, you can format where your old OS/file storage partition was and then merge it with the new file storage partition. viola!

Thanks for your suggestion, and yes you're right about the number of problems it could be. Sorry if I came off a little irritated, computers have that effect on people. :p

The only problem with 3 partitions is that I only have 20 free GB to spare (I have an 80 GB HDD). So maybe someday soon I will get another computer >_<

Again, thanks for your help.

ummm you should look for osiris on these forums... and do a hijack this log and he could help you go through getting rid of unwanted problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom