Vapor Phase Change... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup
Default Vapor Phase Change...

Anywhere I can find a basic guide to Phase change systems and where I can find cheap used systems?

what is the basic price range for a simple phase change setup?

I'd ask on xtreme... but my account isn't getting activated? I clicked the link in the email and it doesn't work... none of the mods/admins are on MSN

Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Vapor Phase Change...

A new unit can cost around $700-900+. So I'm guessing a used, is around $500+.

Just read the phase change stickies at XS. I also signed up there, but they aren't activating my account either

Phase Change User Guide (insulation, mounting, diagnosis) - XtremeSystems Forums
Phase Change Components (Controller, Condenser, Shops) - XtremeSystems Forums

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Yeah its quite annoying... I tried emailing the support email listed in the activation email and it doesn't exist! 0_0...

Hopefully someone on here is a regular there and can help us get activated... I love this place, but it doesn't have much on crazy stuff like Phase Change...

and thanks for the links
Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

aspire.comptech is a regular. So is nosboost. And I agree with crazy stuff being over there.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 03-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Not to sound like an *** but why would you even want a phase change setup? The only reason to even consider phase change is if you are trying to go for a record or something.

Its no where near practical for every day use,From seeing your other thread wanting a $500 oc setup you would be better off with a decent water cooling setup and throwing more $ into your build.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
cuPWNED

it sounds like fun lol

why would I need a more expensive computer? I wouldn't, but I want one lol

a phase change system will last me forever (well until it breaks), a PC wont... an early investment into a cooler will let me have fun overclocking from the start, and I can always use it in the future

water cooling was a waste for me (I have a setup now...) because the performance isn't significantly better and its a big hassle
Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumway View Post
Not to sound like an *** but why would you even want a phase change setup? The only reason to even consider phase change is if you are trying to go for a record or something.

Its no where near practical for every day use,From seeing your other thread wanting a $500 oc setup you would be better off with a decent water cooling setup and throwing more $ into your build.
Records aren't broken on phase change. Your looking more at some solid copper liquid nitrogen pots for both the cpu and sli'd gpu's.

Phase change are useful for benching and the such but they are noisy, and suck up a ton of power. Expect to see a pretty significant increase in your electrical bill. Imagine the power your fridge/freezer would draw if you left the door open 24/7.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
Records aren't broken on phase change. Your looking more at some solid copper liquid nitrogen pots for both the cpu and sli'd gpu's.

Phase change are useful for benching and the such but they are noisy, and suck up a ton of power. Expect to see a pretty significant increase in your electrical bill. Imagine the power your fridge/freezer would draw if you left the door open 24/7.
Well thats pretty much what i was trying to say

There is just no practical use for it for every day stuff.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumway View Post
Well thats pretty much what i was trying to say

There is just no practical use for it for every day stuff.
I probably won't be using it for everyday stuff anyways, and I definately won't leave it running 24/7... standby ftw!

but yeah... I see your points... I might reconsider this lol, I could probably afford a quad and another watercooling loop if I skipped the phase cooling
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Just upgrade your radiator to a PA120.3

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread