UV Lighting Effects Help Please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2004, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to AznRurouni007
Default UV Lighting Effects Help Please

I'm considering putting in a lot of UV reactive things into my case, like fans and cables, etc.. but in order for them to glow i obviously need a UV light .. anyways, i spend a lot of time in front of my computer and i'm concerned about health effects, if anybody has information on this, please reply, thanks =)

Old 05-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via ICQ to mdshort Send a message via AIM to mdshort Send a message via Yahoo to mdshort

Hell sometimes I wonder too, but then again sometimes I don't. I guess we can both get screwed by any health effects come our way, as long as I can see, type, and click, I'm fine.

If anything, your monitor's the one that'll do the damage.

\"With every rise, there is a fall.\"

Need a good cheap host? Click Here
Old 05-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I have 4 UV cathodes an two uv fans, running for 7 months (not contiuously but pretty close it's probably on 6 / 7 months) I'm fairly healthy.
Before posting ask your question here:
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.google.com/search\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"q\" size=\"5\" maxlength=\"255\" style=\"width:200px;\" /><input type=\"submit\" name=\"ask\" value=\"Ask\" style=\"width:40px\" />
Old 05-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

LOl you should not have any problems. I dont think they would be able to sell the product if there was an issue. Yah your not going to have any issues. UNless when your spraying your case with uv paint your start huffing it..........
P4 2.26 ghz, Intel d850emv2 mobo, 768mb of pc800, sony 4x dvd-rw, teac burner, nvidia ti4600 graphics, enermax 330watt ps
4 silent uv fans, cold cathodes in full tower antec case, round ide cables

SOny vaio 2.66 ht ghz modded into raidmax case with green cold cathodes.
P4 2.8ghz HT, 512mb ddr, Intel KD865gbfl, onboard video, raidmax case, blue cathodes, round ide, loomed wires, 4x dvd burner, wd sata 80gb hard drive
Intel d865perl, 2.8ghz northwood, antec sonata, wd caviar 20gb, Corsair 512mbx1 for now. 380watt psu, ati 9600, dvdrom cdrw floppy in black too match case
Old 05-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

There wouldn't be any health effects from having lights inside a case. The only health effects that come from using a computer would probably be radiation to the eyes and maybe carpel tunel *sp*. Anyways, for the UV lighting, I had 9 or 10 lights in my case at one time to make everything glow well, I recently took out some of the lights to get rid of all the wires, they were hidden, but I knew they were there. As soon as I have money again I'm gonig to invest in getting a mirror custom cut to fit inside my case or something like that to reflect all of the UV lighting throughout the case. Positioning of the lights is something you'll need to take into consideration also. Spread them out, don't clump them up.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

Like the people above said, UV lightintg shouldn't pose a threat to your health or else no one would buy them. Plus acrylic is very effective at blocking UV radiation (better than glass) and I don't beleive UV rays can penetrate a metal case so you should be safe.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You get a hell of a lot more UV rays from the Sun itself then a few cathode lights in your computer case. Of course that also depends on where you live

Closed Thread