Using extra memory from an old computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I've got a Voodoo PC that was absolutely state-of-the-art when I purchased it four years ago (I bought the max on every option). Right now, it's collecting dust, so I was thinking of removing some of the memory and sticking it in some empty slots on my new one.

My new computer is an Alienware Aurora; it has 6GB of RAM (2GB x 3). The old Voodoo had 4GB (1GB x 4). I think the motherboard I have on the Aurora only takes the memory in multiples of three, and I think it will take up to six slots of memory. So would knocking the total ram up to 9GB be as simple as putting three pieces of the old hardware into the three open slots, or would there be additional stuff in the BIOS that I would need to tweak?

We need to know what kind of RAM your new build uses and what kind of RAM the old one is. But I would say that the old RAM is DDR2 and the new one is DDR3, if so you can't use DDR2 on a DDR3 build.

Is there an easy way to tell from looking at the memory sticks themselves? The computer itself is kaput (which is why it is collecting dust).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom