Upgrading my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

moviemaker989

Beta member
I have Dell Dimension 4500 computer. Is it possible for me to upgrade my CPU? What types of hardware will I need to buy?

It depends on what your motherboard supports. Find out what kind of motherboard you have and see what the limit for processor speed is that it supports. If you arnt able to reach the speed you want you can get a new motherboard/ cpu combo off various sites. Pricewatch.com has a pretty nice list of cpu/mobo combos. You might want to do some research on your case as well, not sure how dell works by the compaq I bought had proprietary motherboards so I could not fit anything but their stuff in my case. If this is how your dell case is then you will have to get a whole barebones kit which is a motherboard, cpu, and case all in a package. This will be the worst case scenerio for upgrading your processor. Do some reasearch on your current setup and see just how far you have to go. Dont worry too much, you can get a decent barebones kit for under 300 dollars. :D

im in the same position i have a dell dimension 8100. It is a 1.4 ghz and i think its time for me to upgrade it but im having problems finding a mobo that supports Intel and rdram (intel used this ram before). Any suggestions? I just want to upgrade the board and proccesor to atleast a 2.0ghz processor with a 800mhz fsb that will go with my rdram

Well first of all I am pretty sure that 800 mhz fsb is only available on Hyper Threaded P4s which are avalible in 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz, im not sure if intel makes a board with RDRAM but if they do you still want to check to see if it will mount right in your case. My friend bought a Dimension 8300 and it looks proprietary as crap. :confused:

be carefull you don't get proc with a wrong socket as there are two for P4:)
Also BIOS update could make a MOBO support higher speed CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom