Upgrading a brand name computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpage01

Baseband Member
Whats up guys. I will be getting a new computer soon, but the problem is its going to be a gateway. And no I cannot build my own even though I know that is a much better option.

My question is, how easy is it to upgrade these things?

What is the best PCI (not pci-e) videocard there is?

Thanks guys. Anything else on upgrading a brand name computer would also be greatly appreciated.

And on another note, how fast would a wireless connection be (say with a wireless card and router) than a direct link? (with a modem) I have a wireless g router incase that matters

thanks again

Wireless-g is around 54mbits/sec.A wired connection is much faster,but that depends what you want to do with it.Internet sufing and gaming online the wireless will do fine.

if you're going to get a new pre-built comp, go to www.monarchcomputers.com and build one there

if not, then gateways suck ass and it's your fault for getting one

and any pci card are pretty much the same, since they all suck

and wireless G is fast, but the latency isn't that good, so tried to be wired instead

and one thing in upgrading to a brand name computer is that it doesn't have enough memory; go to www.crucial.com (crucial lets you select your brand name comp and it gives you the memory that fits your brand name comp) and get yourself a total (total includes the memory it came with) of at least 512 mb of ram for your comp (1 gig is optimal) and try to learn about your motherboard before upgrading

Make due with what you get, and improve as you can. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you absolutely sure that it does not have an AGP slot? You need to crack the case and make sure.

I am using a pre-built PC myself. I have bumped the RAM, added a DVD drive, and put in a graphics card. No shame in that, so don't sweat it.

You can go for wireless turbo (or whatever each company calls it) problem with that is its not a standard, so you would need to get everything from what company, like if you got a Linksys Super G router you would need to get the wireless adapter from them as well. (which is 108mbit) this can be annoying as you are stuck to them only, also more chance of intereference as well.

A wired connection will always be more reliable and faster (up to 1000mbit now, though oyu most likely have 10/100) since you already have a wireless router I doubt you would want to look into another also.
Hopefully you have an AGP slot, otherwise I will take the time to cry with you... :)

well then get an AGP gfx card (6600gt at least) and upgrade your memory to a gig and you'll be fine

a 6600GT wont work if he doesnt have an AGP slot

Yeah, gateways are hard as hell to upgrade, but your getting it for free.

And the 54mbit cards and routers in reality pull around 20mb and not 54, nowhere near it's max

DJ-CHRIS said:
a 6600GT wont work if he doesnt have an AGP slot

Yeah, gateways are hard as hell to upgrade, but your getting it for free.

And the 54mbit cards and routers in reality pull around 20mb and not 54, nowhere near it's max

That is why it is called MegaBITS. And it really only 6.75 megaBYTES a sec. Which is enough for anyone, I got a fast connection(512kb /sec download) and 6.75mb/sec is plenty.

Also I would just get a PCI video card, 9/10 it wont have an AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom