Upgrade Question: moving hard drive to new system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2004, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrade Question: moving hard drive to new system

Ok I'm upgrading my computer, New MOBO, New CPU, New Memory

The only thing that is the same is my video card, my cd-rom drive, floppy-drive, and My Hard Drives.

I tried booting the new system up with the hard drives in it but eun into problems, I can't get windows to boot up. it comes to a screen asking me how I want to boot, (safe mode, Normal start up, ect)

None of those work, the system just ends up re-booting,
I've rebooted from cd-rom drive with Windows xp cd in there, and choose Repair, it gave me access to C:\windows
then I didn't know what to do, if I typed DIR all the path names looked %$&*ed. So I hooked up my hard drive to my old MOBO ect, and it boots fine.

So how do I boot up with my new system and get it to recongnize all the new Hardware ect.

On another note, how much better is the ATI Radeon 9800 XT compared to 9700Pro.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok I'm thinking I need to use the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR(judging by the descriptions of them.

But when I choose FIXMBR it gives me a warning saying that this might make my drive unaccesable. I've got lots of stuff that I don't want to lose, and I have no real way of backing up the hard drive, apart from using a whole bunch of writable cds, but I've got a good 15Gigs of data, that's a lot of buring to do.

So is that what I need to do is use the FIXMBR command? I just want to make sure before I do it.

Of should I just try installing Win xp again on the same drive as before, would that work aswell???

[EDIT] Never Mind, got the system up and running, just had to choose install windows, then it gives you an option of repairing. [/EDIT]
Closed Thread