Upgrade Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Aright well, my computer consists of a 1.6Ghz P4 Willamette. More info on it here. As for my mobo, it's a crappy Asus mobo that came with the HP pc. More info on it here.

The mobo that I have currently only supports AGPx4 and doesn't support DDR memory. I'm running 1 256MB PC133 stick and 1 256MB PC100 stick. The mobo also locks any form of overlocking, whether it be FSB or multiplier.

Basically, I'm investing about $30 into a new S478 mobo (my local pc store has some on liquidation for extremely cheap). Plus I'll get some PC3200 ram which I'll be able to recycle with my future PC setup. I'm also building a new custom case by modifying the HP's case's frame. I'm removing the external shell and using the case frame to make a nice wood case which I could also recycle later on. I don't mind the investement because the only thing I won't be able to recycle from my pc is the PSU (only 200watts :confused: ) and the new mobo.

As for the video card, I'm currently using a 9600XT. That I will be able to recycle towards my new pc because I'm getting an AsRock S939Dual with the AGP/PCIE combo, so I can temporarily use my 9600XT until I get my 1900XT, when the pricedrops come.

Just so you don't get confused, there are three stages of upgrade.
HP crap s478 mobo -> decent, s478 with agpx8, overclockability and ddr support -> AsRock s939 mobo (with an opty 165) and I'll salvage some parts for my old system..

The reason I'm doing the step in between is temporary, because I won't be able to get that As Rock mobo for a while...

Anyway, I'll keep posting whenever I come into trouble. But firstly, I have a couple of questions...

1) The P4 that I currently have, is that in itself overclockable? Or is it more so a question of whether the mobo is overclockable? edit: sorry, that sounds newbish, when I asked that, I meant,does the mobo allow the cpu to overclock or the cpu determines that?

2) I have a bad feeling that this P4 can only support SDRAM... it won't be able to support DDR ram. Is that true?

1) no its the mobo the cpu can be overclocked

2)I dunno but on my skt A system i have it on pc 133 but is should be on ddr. I think the northbidge is whay controls it but again i dont know about that p4 check if the mobo is even compatable with it.

matt2m said:

2)I dunno but on my skt A system i have it on pc 133 but is should be on ddr. I think the northbidge is whay controls it but again i dont know about that p4 check if the mobo is even compatable with it.

that can't be, can it? I mean, PC133 is 168 pin while DDR memory is 184 pin, it wouldn't even fit...

So are you saying that Socket-type is not the only thing that determines the compatability between a CPU and mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom