Upgrade to Athlon 2600+ XP-Mobile???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said:
If it would...man, what a performance enhancement. And it runs cooler ? And a mobile 3000+ XP is running for $129 on NewEgg.

If any of you know if it would work, LET ME KNOW!

the 3000+ doesn't run cooler than your regular desktop 2400+ unless it's a mobile (which its not). It's still stock of 1.65v...so you should see the same temps. Mobiles run between 1.35v-1.45v...thats the temp diff.

And like Nubius said...running past 250FSB with 1GB of RAM 1:1 would be quite hard. I don't think even a volt mod will get you 24/7 stable. Most NF7-S will stop between 210-220FSB on Stock BIOS/Voltage. With a modded BIOS and added voltage you can expect anywhere between 220-240FSB...past that it's all luck...not too many people get 250FSB with one volt mod and a changed BIOS.

Right now my board is stuck at 233FSB, donesn't matter how much voltaeg i pump into it. I'm thinking it's a heat barrier...but i'm so close to getting a 939 setup like you i don't want to put any more money into this system (especially since i spent $50 on a new PSU for it and it came in the mail dead :( )

Nubius said:
you goin PCI-E 4W4K3?

i think so...im looking for an NF4 (maybe ultra i dunno) with PCI-E but not SLi. The PCI-E 6600GT seems to overclock better than the AGP since it's got better RAM's...and im just a sucker for new technology lol.

lol yeah. Know what ya mean. AGP version is down to $199 at newegg, so I'm hopin to get it at the end of this month. I figure my computer will be pretty much set up until the beginning of next year then I can begin to rebuy all parts. They've done WAY too many hardware upgrades this year...forcing everyone to spend tons of cash it seems.

Gotta get new RAM modules now, gotta get a new graphics card type now, gotta get a bigger PSU now, bunch of marketing crap I tell ya!

So, what mobile would work for my mobo? From the documentation:

"VIA KM266 is a single-chip North bridge for AMD CPUs with 200/266 MHz Front Side Bus with AGP and PCI plus advanced memory controller that DDR 266/200 SDRAM."

AMD PROCESSOR SUPPORT:
Athlon XP:
...1500+ to 2100+ and up* at 266MHzFSB;
...1600+ to 2200+ and up* at 266MHz FSB;
Athlon:
...900 MHz to 1.4 GHz and up*at 200MHz FSB;
...1.0 GHz to 1.4 GHz at 266MHz FSB;
Duron:
...900MHz to 1.3GHz and up* at 200MHZ FSB

(*: Not tested yet)"
Last revised 7, 2002

I did find in the documentation that I'd have to set a jumper on the mobo to change the FSB from 100 to 133.

Question: Does replacing the CPU have the same effect on Windows as replacing the mobo? Would I have to re format, or clear the CMOS, or anything like that? I figured I'd ask.

Trotter - Yeah what AK said, you only have to format on the motherboard because it requires all kinds of drivers and whatnot. I believe the reason they say your board will only support up yay far is simply because your chipset can't handle higher FSB's beyond 266. Technically when you get that chip, you can go beyond 133 in the BIOS, but you will be pushing your motherboards limitations, so you will have to find the sweet spot between your CPU and mobo limitations. Higher FSB beyond that inwhich your mobo is capable of = hot NB and SB so I'd suggest better active cooling for the NB and passive for the SB if you go that route, but in all honesty it's almost not worth it. Ya really need a new mobo. If ya dont care about $80 then pick up an NF7-S v2 and then just start saving major cash for the AMD64 system down the road

BTW: AK I'd never suggest a chaintech product to someone. I have their FX 5700, first one I had to RMA because it crapped out in two months, now it's been 5-6 months since I got it replaced and it's already crapping out =/ So yeah IMO they are pretty iffy manufacturer.

MSI, ABit, DFI would provide much better hardware

No. Get the 2400-M 35W.

All the Athlon XP's crank out ~65W of heat.
The XP-M's crap out ~45-55W.

The 2400-M is the only Mobile Athlon XP, which has 35W.
Note: There is a 45W & 35W version of the 2400-M. The 35W might be ~5-10$ more than the 45W, but it is well-worth it for overclocking.

Silent Nemesis said:
No. Get the 2400-M 35W.

All the Athlon XP's crank out ~65W of heat.
The XP-M's crap out ~45-55W.

The 2400-M is the only Mobile Athlon XP, which has 35W.
Note: There is a 45W & 35W version of the 2400-M. The 35W might be ~5-10$ more than the 45W, but it is well-worth it for overclocking.

i believe the 35watt is a TBreb, and not a Barton like the 45watter. Anyone know if this is correct...i might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom