upgrade and add case fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
Right now, I have a Cooler Master Centurion 5 case with all stock fans. I would like to overclock my system but before I do that, I want to upgrade from the stock fans and possibly add two more (one intake and one exhaust). I was thinking of adding one to the side and drill a spot out of the clear window. Also one to the top and drill a hole into the top of the case. Are these OK places to do this? I'm assuming it would be better to make the top fan the exhaust?

Also what kind of case fans are good? I don't know much about them so any reccomendations would be appreciated!

Are you looking for high output fans or a bunch of quite fans. Personally I would take more quite fans over the smaller jet engines you can come across.

Yes you are correct about making the top fan an exhaust. That fan spot has the nickname the "blowhole", you know, kinda like a whale.

The coolermaster 10dbA silent 120's are awesome. Only $10 for the pair and they are SILENT.
Thanks Apokolipse for recommending those.

1- do NOT get that thermaltake...read the reviews...its way louder than 21dBA, i actually had it and then rmad it cos it was too loud.

For exhaust:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2329 120mm Case Fan - Retail

I got 2 of those for my exhausts...theyre silent and pretty good.

for intakes:
Newegg.com - Antec 75003 120mm Case Fan - Retail

Powerfull and quiet...ignore the dba...its more quiet than those thermaltakes peter suggested.

Its up to you though...
do you care about the sound?..if not, then go with peters suggestions.

1- do NOT get that thermaltake...read the reviews...its way louder than 21dBA, i actually had it and then rmad it cos it was too loud.

For exhaust:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2329 120mm Case Fan - Retail

I got 2 of those for my exhausts...theyre silent and pretty good.

for intakes:
Newegg.com - Antec 75003 120mm Case Fan - Retail

Powerfull and quiet...ignore the dba...its more quiet than those thermaltakes peter suggested.

Its up to you though...
do you care about the sound?..if not, then go with peters suggestions.

guess you have better suggestions ;)

Blowholes are good. I have one in my case. just make sure you line up the hole far enough in front of your PSU so you have room to mount the fan.

A fan centered over the CPU in the side window is a good idea, blowing external air into/onto the HSF. If your HSF sucks from the side, put the fan in front of it and put a 90 degree duct on it to direct it into the HSF.

thanks, I didn't know about the silent x issues. blowholes are good, as already stated twice. if the HSF is from the sides, rear and front mount seems the best option to me. one intake, other exhaust. continuous air stream across the unit will keep it cooler. the article I posted above is extremely useful for airflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom