unlocking, overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdev42

Solid State Member
afternoon, i am buying parts to build a computer. i am interested in seeing if i can "unlock" the cpu (Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision - Processors - Desktops) but i dont really know what that means.

for overclocking, i know it is pushing parts past there designed capabilities. and that it can be done on both cpu and graphics card (Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards).

what i dont know is how to do these overclockings and unlockings. is there any specific guide on these parts i can look at, or a guide for similar/family of parts? thank you for your help.

To unlock the CPU you just need a motherboard with the 710 or 750 southbridge.
Then when you go into the BIOS turn on Advanced Clock Calibration and turn the mode to Hybrid* I believe, and automatic.
To overclock it, you will want to increase the CPU frequency in the BIOS settings.
(You'll probably have to mess around with some other settings too depending on how high you want to overclock, possibly voltages or RAM settings.. If you only do a small overclock though, you shouldn't have to touch anything besides the CPU frequency.)

There are guides you can look at, but I'm not sure where a decent one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom