unlocking, overclocking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default unlocking, overclocking

afternoon, i am buying parts to build a computer. i am interested in seeing if i can "unlock" the cpu (Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision - Processors - Desktops) but i dont really know what that means.

for overclocking, i know it is pushing parts past there designed capabilities. and that it can be done on both cpu and graphics card (Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards).

what i dont know is how to do these overclockings and unlockings. is there any specific guide on these parts i can look at, or a guide for similar/family of parts? thank you for your help.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: unlocking, overclocking

To unlock the CPU you just need a motherboard with the 710 or 750 southbridge.
Then when you go into the BIOS turn on Advanced Clock Calibration and turn the mode to Hybrid* I believe, and automatic.
To overclock it, you will want to increase the CPU frequency in the BIOS settings.
(You'll probably have to mess around with some other settings too depending on how high you want to overclock, possibly voltages or RAM settings.. If you only do a small overclock though, you shouldn't have to touch anything besides the CPU frequency.)

There are guides you can look at, but I'm not sure where a decent one is.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: unlocking, overclocking

Originally Posted by Bdev42 View Post
afternoon, i am buying parts to build a computer. i am interested in seeing if i can "unlock" the cpu [url] but i dont really know what that means.
the phenom ii dual and tri cores are just quad cores with 1 or 2 cores disabled.

why were they disabled? sometimes there are faults in their manufacturing process, so instead of just throwing the whole thing away, they disable the faulty sections and sell em off as dual or tri cores.

but other times, due to supply and demand, they will take perfectly good quad core cpus and just disable some cores. this is where you come in. if you get lucky and unlock the extra cores, congrats dude, you just a quad for the price of a dual
Closed Thread