Unlocking an 80 GB HDD to make it 120 GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
A friend of mine just told me his uncle (supposed to be a computer wiz) said that 80 GB hard drives start out as a 120 GB hard drive. But, the company will "lock out" 40 gigs to make it an 80. Evidently, there are programs to unlock this extra 40 gigs on your hard drive. Is this true or is his uncle smokin something? If it's true, how would I go about doing this?

It could very well be true that companies produce 120Gb or larger drives that end up with broken or corrupt sectors and thereby lock those specific sectors and sell it as a smaller hard drive, as the same thing happens with GPU pipelines and processor cache...however, this is the first time I've heard of such a concept and I've never heard of unlocking a hard drive therefore I'm going with no

I agree with gara, but to come up with software that can unlock Harddrives, it would be pretty hard.

What will this world come to? Pretty soon we will be unlocking 'hidden' pistons in our cars or something stupid like that.

KorKwin said:
What will this world come to? Pretty soon we will be unlocking 'hidden' pistons in our cars or something stupid like that.

haha :p or unlocking secret hidden turbo's :p

gaara said:
It could very well be true that companies produce 120Gb or larger drives that end up with broken or corrupt sectors and thereby lock those specific sectors and sell it as a smaller hard drive, as the same thing happens with GPU pipelines and processor cache...however, this is the first time I've heard of such a concept and I've never heard of unlocking a hard drive therefore I'm going with no

Like Gaara I highly doubt this. The only thing they do is a hard drive manafactuer use 1 platter in a drive that could hold 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom