Underclocked CPU? (Not on purpose) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I FINALLY got my motherboard replacement from Newegg. Installed all the pc parts and stuff. Computer runs. I have crashed twice trying to open an nVidia program--but I don't give a hoot about that.

What's bothering me is my Intel E7200 which is expected to run @ 2.53 ghz is running @ 1.6 ghz and 2.26 ghz variably. I don't know why, could someone help?

Also, the program called "SpeedFan" is showing my cores idling @ 49C or so. Is that bad/good/average? I have no clue. Your help is much appreciated.

Edit: They are averaging 47-48 idle.

That SpeedFan program also shows me core voltages and they are as follows:

Vcore1: 1.12V
Vcore2: 1.90V

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Underclocked CPU? (Not on purpose)

Go to your BIOS and turn off all of the CPU features. If you dont want to turn all of them off, just trun off temperature throttling (something like that) and E1ST. Those slow your CPU speed down when it isnt being used, saving power etc. If you like that though, then just leave it. I personally turn all of those features off for the best performance.

|Steam-Braz90|*
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

CPU Speed Changing? Speedstep and Cool and Quiet Technology Explained

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnskeel View Post
That SpeedFan program also shows me core voltages and they are as follows:

Vcore1: 1.12V
Vcore2: 1.90V
That high VCore2 is something to be concerned about. How did that even happen? Getting one Vcore that high and the other like .8 volts lower.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Speedfan is inaccurate with Core2s, don't believe what it tells you. it says my motherboard is -150C. Use realtemp, it was designed for Core2 systems. And for voltage info nothing is more accurate then the BIOS although CPU-Z hasn't lied to me yet.

You clock speed is low because of a feature called speedstep. it lowers the multi on the cpu if it isnt being fully utilized. You can disable that in BIOS with little to no fuss.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Okay well I did two things, and I think i'm back on track here.

I went into the bios but could not find that E1ST thing...so I went to some other part on my bios. I saw the clock multiplier was @ 8.5...and I remembered reading somewhere about 9x multiplier. So I decided to raise the multiplier to 9x from 8.5x, and boom I got 2.53 GHz. So it's clocked correctly now.

Also, I got RealTemp, which shows me 34C to 36C idle. Haven't tried under load, but I'm sure it's fine. Do you think new thermal grease will bring that idle temp down even more? I'm using some Dyno thermal grease or something, that I got from Best Buy.

In addition to all that, CPU-Z shows my multiplier drop to 6x when not in use, dropping the cpu to 1.6 GHz, which I don't mind because it just saves power/creates less heat, which is good .

Basically- Problem Solved
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i wouldnt disable the thermal throttling unless you know what you are doing. E1ST and Speedstep are fine, thats whats causing what you describe.
thermal throttling control is a good thing to have if you are inexperienced at overclocking or have a stock cooling solution. it will not affect your cpu clock or multiplier unless the cpu is overheating.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Bulldog

36c is a good temp to be at. Unless you do any serious overclocking I would not worry about getting thermal paste or a better hsf.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
i wouldnt disable the thermal throttling unless you know what you are doing. E1ST and Speedstep are fine, thats whats causing what you describe.
thermal throttling control is a good thing to have if you are inexperienced at overclocking or have a stock cooling solution. it will not affect your cpu clock or multiplier unless the cpu is overheating.
I saw that and decided to keep it on, just in case....you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
36c is a good temp to be at. Unless you do any serious overclocking I would not worry about getting thermal paste or a better hsf.

Thanks for the confirmation on the temp. And I noticed that if I leave the computer by itself for like...5 minutes...the temp drops to 33. On the realtemp thing it said lowest temp was 32, but did not see it there.

Closed Thread