Ultimate gaming comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxsjs

Beta member
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me out, I'm trying to build a top-of-the-line gaming computer and would appreciate your advice on some components, if you've ever used them :)
1. Athlon 64 or Pentium 4 which is best for gaming?
2. Geforce FX 5950 or Radeon 9800XT which rules?
and depending on which processor some advice about mobos would also be great,
cheers

Although not of extreme benefit right now the AMD 64 is already better but will definately be leaps and bounds beyond the P4 when 64 bit programs come out.

ATI Radeon 9800XT woops the crap out of the Nvidia 5950 Ultra, especially when you turn on AF and FSAA. Its no competition.

not sure about motherboards, but ASUS is a great company that i have never had a problem with.

AMD 64
Radeon 9800XT
ASUS SK8N

Thanks for that, think i'll definitely go with the athlon 64 and 9800xt, another question though being as this is my first time building a gaming PC, I don't know what sort of PSU to get, the company I bought my case from put in a 550W PSU but its made by winpower and it costs like thirty pounds, is that a bit cheap for a 550 psu? If so I'm looking for a PSU that will comfortably run the following specs with some slack:
Xaser 3 super tower (7x80mm fans & 1xE-LED light)
Athlon 64 3200+
1GB Corsair pc4000 RAM
36.7Gb western digital raptor 10000rpm
160Gb maxtor 7200rpm
Plextor DVD writer and Drive
Radeon 9800xt

Any suggestions would be great?

a 550 watt PSU will most certainly run those specs, not sure on the price though, search the web for 550 watt PSU's and see what you come up with for prices. a few manufacturers i have heard of are(and would trust) Coolmax, Antec, Powermax, vantec. get any of those brands and you should be satisified with their quailty.

Im in the process of building a new top of the line PC as well, and Ive done alot of research on it, heres the skinny:

I nixed the idea of a AMD 64-FX. I just dont feel comfortable with the technology yet. Its a chip I may upgrade to, but for know Im sticking with known performance (a 3200 barton, I dont do intel). So if youre a Intel fan, I say go with that. Plus itll save you a penny or two... or 40,000.

The vid card should be a 9800XT. No contest. Although the 5950 is a fine card, testing proves that the XT does better. And in a TOTL case, thats what matters right?

And as far as mobos go, I dont know Intel boards real well, but if you DO go with a 64, go Asus or Giga-Byte. The G-B SK8N was my consideration. Good board.

As far as a PSU goes, 550 will do ANYTHING. And yes, 30 pounds is waaaaay cheap. 550s sell in the US for $100-200 (USD, or 57-114 GBP) and as for the make of it? Go with Coolmax if possible, or Vantec is also good.

550 wats man. That is over kill and make sure the company is a good brand. If you gte a 300w thermeltake and a 550w deer. Your deer will kill everything inside your computer. For that systme 400w should be plenty make it a good brand. Raidon 9800xt for sure. I would hold of on 64 bit right now. Given its not new but it was just rececntly introduced to home computers. Making you the first generation gini pig. Good cpu none the less. But not to many good 64 bit o/s out there and espessioly 64 bit apps will not be main stream for a couple of years. p4 3ghz will compete a bit lower with a 64 bit 3200+ but wont be as expensive and you can get a 64 bit in couple of years. Asus always way to go.

Thanx for the advice ppl, Think I will go for a better PSU, cos I don't want to fry all my components with rubbish kit, will have a look at Coolmax and vantec so cheers for the tips sharpnill and solomon. I also looked at a 64-FX chip shrapnill but considered it to be a bit overkill especially since only the first generation of FX chips are going to be on socket 940. Am also a bit wary of the basic 64 chips, cos you do feel like a bit of guiney pig, but I think the pentiums have probably maxed out at 3.2GHz (Apart form the Extremely Expensive edition :) ) I want a platform I can upgrade on without having to replace the mobo straight away, typical eh?! I think the 9800xt wins hands down, I kinda suspected it would whup the 5950 but thanx for all the feedback on that :) right I'm gonna go look for a PSU to fuel my monster (around the 400w mark) thanx all for the advice and will let you know how it shapes up! :) Hope your project goes well too Shrapnill.

Maxsjs said:
I... looked at a 64-FX chip shrapnill but considered it to be a bit overkill especially since only the first generation of FX chips are going to be on socket 940. Am also a bit wary of the basic 64 chips, cos you do feel like a bit of guiney pig

That was my feelings exactly. I just dont feel quite comfortable buying a $700USD chip that the market hasnt felt out yet. Like you said, I aint gonna be a guinea pig, especially not if Im paying that kinda money for it.

Hope your project goes well too Shrapnill.

Thanks! I have high hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom