Ugrading components of computer, have not done this before. Advice appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedhiggins

Baseband Member
Right well im pretty new to all thie tech issues here. But fortunatly im not that dumb!? Im about to upgrade my computer. The components are:

Asus A7v600 Motherboard
256Mb 2100 Ram
80gb 7200 and 30gb 7200
Ati 7200 64mb graphics
1.3Ghz Duron (apparently the guy who overclocked said he got it to 1.8+ and it was stable, have my doubts)
Volcano 9 heatsink and fan (copper base)
CdRW 12/10/32
DVd
Zip
floppy
SB1024
harman/kardon speakers
keyboard and mouse

The most pressing question i have is how to avoid static destruction, what to beware of when upgrading (i.e. Jumpers and remembering wjhere it all goes), also do i need thermal paste? - i was hoping just to put the heatsink/fan straight onto the CPU, is this right? Obviously will fully back up all info first as am worried about the CPU. Any thoughts on how far i can push it.

I have info on motherboard settings and how to change multiplyers but was hoping for a little insider knoledge on this.

Cheers.

Best thing to do about static shock is to wear an anti static wrist band. You can get on at radio shack for about five dollars. Also work on a wooden surface to help as well. Since the cpu is a pull(pulled from another computer). You want to clean all the thermal compound off it before you install it. You can use rubbing alcohol(work great for me.). Other than that, read your mobo manual, then read it again. Have fun.

you have already made a big mistake by getting a duron. get an XP CPU instead, or at the very least get an athlon, anything is better than a duron or deleron. all your other nice hardware will be a waste of money on a duron or celeron.

to avoid static discharge touch the metal part of the case while the computer is off with the power cord still plugged in the wall and unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

don't move around too much on carpet. i always keep some part of me touching the case like my elbow. if you need to go somewhere else plug the cord back in and do it again. static wristbands are too much of a hassle.

with wrist band you still neeed to do the same thing with the cord. the cord is to ground yourself so the static from your body can go somewhere else. i have never fried anything doing it this way

-edit
did i say "deleron"? i meant celeron....... the "deleron" are the higher end processors, hehe:p

AMD's website has nice "tutorials" about heat sinks and fans and thermal paste etc. etc.

They also have NICE PICTURES, so you can actually see what things look like. I've read descriptionsand step-by-step instructions ... ALL have made no sense until you look at the pictures :)

good luck

1. Thermal compound. Yes, you definitely need it. Specially if your planning on O/C the CPU. You can get silicon based compound for a few bucks almost anywhere where they sell electronic/computer components. DON'T apply too much or instead of dissipating your heat from the CPU to the heat sink, it will trap it. A very light coat is enough. All you want to do is to maximize contact between the heat sink and the CPU. Also, when removing/cleaning the old one, be careful not to accidentally get some on your contacts because some of this stuff is highly conductive and you could fry your CPU when powering up.

2. ESD (electro static discharge). Do as eaKsine said and you should have no problems. Try and avoid touching any components on your cards (MOBO) etc... or as little as possible when installing your parts. Don't work on a sheet of plastic and don't put any parts on it. Wood or glass surface is excellent since they don't develop static electricity and cannot be electrically charged, but if you can find some ESD bags that would be even better (the gray/black bags components come wrapped in when new).

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot. For your video card. Before installing the new one, be sure to delete all drivers for the old one. You can usually do this through the add/remove program. When your computer asks you to reboot, select NO then shut off computer, install the new card, reboot and install the new drivers which you can find at:
www.ati.com

thanks a lot everyone, of great help. About to get to it, suspect might be posting again soon on this! Keep cool and im sure i'll suceed. Wonder how many days it will take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom