Tyan unleashes 16-core 'personal' supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Computex 2006 Taiwan's Tyan today pledged to ship a deskside "personal supercomputer" powered by eight Intel low-voltage 'Woodcrest' Xeon processors and packing up to 48GB of memory in the fourth quarter. But expect to pay at least $10,000 for the wheel-mounted machine, the company said.

Named Typhoon - it'll "blow you away", quipped Tyan CEO Symon Change - the 68 x 36 x 32cm system contains four removable motherboard units, each with a pair of dual-core Xeon 5100-series LV CPUs and 12GB of registered 533MHz or 667MHz DDR 2 SDRAM. Each 'node' board can take a single SATA storage devices.

tyan_typhoon_1.jpg

The four nodes run co-operatively using Windows or Linux clustering software to deliver "respectable" performance for scientific apps, Chang said. And for business and productivity tools too, it added - the company wants to broaden the machine's appeal beyond boffins and engineers.

The Woodcrest-based Typhoon, the B5372, will be preceded by the B5191, this time based on four 'Conroe' Core 2 Duo CPUs but capable of taking up to 64GB of unbuffered 667MHz DDR 2 connected via an Intel 3000 North Bridge - the B5372 uses the 'Blackford VS' chipset. The Conroe machine is aimed at "cost-conscious" buyers, Tyan said, the other at the more performance hungry.

Both models have eight USB and eight Gigabit Ethernet ports. They ship with an XGI Volari Z7 (XG20) GPU with 16MB of dedicated graphics memory. Each box consumes just under 1,400W in total - each node has its own PSU and requires its own power cable. If the power draw is high, the noise isn't: Typhoon generates under 45dB, Tyan said.

tyan_typhoon_2.jpg

Tyan said Typhoon would going into mass production later this year: August for the B5191, with the B5372 coming in October. Tyan said prices will start at around $10,000 - plenty for a personal computer, but rather less than comparable supercomputing cluster set-ups cost, the company claimed.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/07/tyan_unveils_typhoon/

i like comparing this to what Dell thinks $10,000 should buy :p its ridiculous comparing the renegade to this. i think i can safely say i would much rather prefer this typhoon. wonder if it overclocks too :shocked: would be able to crunch a movie to divx in like under a minute (assuming the video source could keep up and the encoder could actually take advantage of it)

i'm not sure but i think i spy pci-e on the motherboards so in theory (if you can get the power) you could modify it in some way to allow you to use a graphics card. or if it will operate with one of the trays removed :/. WHO CARES ABOUT GAMING!!! why would you buy a machine like that for gaming :laughing: i agree i wouldn't like my power bill though

msi makes a socket 940 dual cpu motherboard with sli... so you may wanna check that one out :p ... that that'd be an awesome build.. 6 slots for ram as well, 12 gb total i think it was.. not sure, but its on newegg.. something i may want to consider for my next build

I would like to buy that and see if SuperPI could take advantage of that.... Or anything that crunchs numbers >_< SETI... Folding@home.... anything....

Holy **** the sheer CPU power of that thing makes me shiver just thinking about it!! Yeah, if you got a few of those running Folding@home and similar programs you would like... uhh, do good things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom