Two or Four RAM Stix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
I was wondering if "y'all" think I should go with Two 1 gigabyte sticks of RAM, or Four 512 megabyte sticks of RAM?
I mean, not that price is an issue either way, but which would work the best?
Thanks a lot
Yan

Well if you are using more than 512MB's at once.. The system will have to switch physical banks more.. It would switch banks just as much if the 1GB sticks have 4 virtual banks.. But it would probably be fast with the two 1GB sticks..

If you are utilizing more than 512MB's of system memory at once, you will start to switch banks.. As only one bank of memory can be accessed at a time. Unless of course you are using dual channel memory. So it might be a little faster if you keep the physical switching down between memory slot's. If you just used two sticks you will do more virtual bank switching..

TheMajor said:
I think 4x512 sticks are faster because of the latencies.

This can be possible.. I would have to take a look at the sticks to see how much difference there is.

Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200:
Memory Timings: 2-2-2-6

CORSAIR XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series:
Memory Timings: 3-3-3-8

The Corsair is rated for slower memory timings.. However, they are very high quality. If you set them to run @ Turbo, CAS2, I believe they would without problems.

Does anyone here have this memory? Perhaps you could comment.

Running 2GB i don't think latencies will be your biggest issue. and im sure they could be tightened if youare running stock. i would opt for the 2*1GB sticks and run in dual channel mode (if your mobo supports it) 4*512MB just seems like a waste of space and i don't see the benefit if your computer is switching inbetween banks all the time, the tighter timings and the bank switching would probably average out to equal performance the 2*1GB would give you. and if you can run DC then that will boost speed alot too.

Yeah, I guess I'll go w/two 1 gig sticks, just thought there might be a performance boost w/four and it would also look sweet...
Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom