Tweaking a q6600 wit 1066 ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShallowJam

Solid State Member
Hello all,

I am new to overclocking, but have done quite a bit of reading. I have some questions that I would like to call educated. First off, specs.

Asus P5B
2x2gig Gskill 1066 DDR2
Intel Q6600 2.4 ghz quadcore
EVGA Superclocked gtx460 1gig
Antec 900 case
windows 7 64bit
arctic 7 cpu cooler
650watt ocz psu

So, I just got the cooler and card, so i wont be able to install those until monday, but before they arrive I would like to seek some guidance on overlcocking my cpu/memory so i know what to do when they get here. I will list what im going to adjust my settings to, and some questions I have with the changes.

I would like an overclock of 3.2ghz, so do I just attempt to do that and if it doesnt work, change it up?

Timing 5-5-5-15
FSB 533mhz x2 = 1066mhz.
These two values are for the memory, are they really changable? I mean, is there any reason to not set them to what your ram speed/frequency is?

FSB - 355mhz x 9 = 3195mhz
Interms of the cpu/ram divider, i assume im supposed to shoot for 1066mhz to match the ram, but im not sure if thats right. i guess thats a question of synchronus vs asynchronus. im not sure how big a heat/energy disadvantage asynchronus is.

Im not really sure what to do with NB and ICH vcores. i read in the overclocking tutorial here that I might need to up them in order to get the 1066 to work properly, but im not sure how to do that or what it really means.

in terms of vcore i assume im supposed to leave it on auto and get a stable oc and then back it off until its unstable and then increase a little to be stable. I know about testing with prime 95.

also, I am a bit confused on the relationship between fsb and DRAM. I have heard that a 1:1 ratio is a must, but have seen many systems using 4:5 and 5:6. for example, there is a large section on oc'ing the q6600 here on tomshardware using both 4:5 and 5:6. In order to run my ram at 1066 and cpu at 3.2ghz, what ratio is that? im a bit confused by the whole thing. im guessing the ratio i would want for 1066 and 3.2ghz would be 2:3? 533 (x2 = 1066mhz) for the ram and 355 (x9 = 3.2) for the cpu. that would be a ratio of 1:1.5, so 2:3? does that make sense? is that acceptable to do?
or would it be better to do x6 with 533 as to maintain the 1:1 ratio?
what affect does timing have on everything?

I posted this on another forum, with little assistance. hoping for some better luck! thanks
are there are settings im missing? replies are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom