Trying to find a somewhat obscure chipset fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
The fan in question comes packaged with the evga 680i mobo found here: Newegg.com - EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

If you click the pictures it is shown in the 7th and 8th pictures labeled chipset cooling fan. My problem with it is that it is loud. Really really loud. I'm wondering if there is a quieter solution to this fan. It seems to be a somewhat uncommon item because browsing newegg yielded nothing. Is this a part that is sold by any of the better cooling fan companies?

I'm not even overclocking this motherboard so maybe the fan isn't even necessary? Any advice on this? Thanks.

The issue at hand is that the fan in question is proprietary and is designed exclusively for that mounting style.

The best you going to be able to do is find a similarly sized fan and rig it to attach to the chipset.

the fan, at least by the 680i guide, is recommended, but not needed. if you are worried further, try <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6346/cpu-tri-45/Thermalright_HR-05IFX_Heatpipe_Chipset_Cooler.html?tl=g40c16s500">this<A/>

Thanks for the help so far. That Thermalrite you posted looks nice, but how hard is it to remove the stock sink and replace it? Also, as you can see on the motherboard, the stock cooler is there for 2 chips, the MCP and the SPP (which has the passive sink on it). There's that pipe connecting the 2 of them, the heat sink and nvidia fan sit on the SPP.

Which one does this aftermarket fan replace and do I have to worry about the MCP which just has the block and pipe on it?

You will have to replace both the northbridge (big chip with big heatsink with fan) and the southbridge (small chip near bottom, little metal plate connected with silver tube) heatsinks/fans.

ugg which presents even more complications since i have an 8800GTX which is the size of a fricken battleship. doubt i can even fit anything on the MCP.

well 2 little posts hold the smaller MCP on. All I can figure is finding some passive heat sink and hope passive air flow is enough...

Does anyone know of any guides for doing this sort of thing, maybe even for this particular mobo line?

thank you kindly for the help. I will have to look into all that stuff

sure wish i could just find a quieter fan for the NB lol :( I don't even overclock i just can't stand this one load fan. case fans nice and quiet, quality PSU, nice case, then you got this one fan blaring at away with it's high pitch whine.

if you dont overclock you really dont need the nb fan, but if u want to keep the fan on it, go into the bios and lower the fan speed on the nb fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom