Trying to boot up an old computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Trying to boot up an old computer

Im trying to put back together an old Packard-Bell 333 for just some word processing and net surfing use.
The original HD is a 4G , Fujitsu that has been 'cleaned'. I have a 98 startup floppy, but when I try to boot I get a message that states that I need to change my jumper settings. My jumper is in the original position and has not been changed. Are there BIOS settings that need to be changed ? The 'removable device' is listed first in order to boot from but it dosent seem to recognize the floppy drive, (Mitsumi) either. Bearing in mind that the HD and the floppy as well as the mother board and processor are original equipment. They have been removed and utilized in other machines but this is their home. Any ideas on how to get this dinosaur started?? Thanks!

Old 01-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

make sure the cables are correct, and look up the jumper settings for that drive, make sure thats correct. (maybe the jumpers fell off).

also set defaults in bios

hope this helps

Old 01-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have the configuration in the original positions (jumpers) and have triple checked the cables...the hard drive has been cleaned or erased of all data, should a 98 startup disk work or do I need to boot in DOS first?
Are there any special steps to doing this that I may be overlooking??
Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

98 disk includes a verison of DOS on it, so it'll boot just fine. Make sure that the 'Floppy' or '3.5 drive' or 'FDD' is set to boot first. The 'removable' drive is totally different....unless the floppy drive is using a 40-pin controller on it's on PCI or ISA slotted controller that case Removable would be the choice.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

ya set it to boot from FLOPPY or A:
or set it to boot from a windows cd, which works just like a boot disk so set it to boot from "CD drives name" or "cd drives letter ex. D: or E: or F:

no overclocking for u buddy... that is a brand name computer, its overclock locked, no settings to overclock.

i had a compaq before - the speed i bought it at was the speed it ran at, all brand name computers are locked against overclocking
Closed Thread