Tricking the PSU?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
I have just installed all the water cooling parts and now it's time to leak test... I have seen where people "trick" their PSU into thinking it is plugged in to the MB so they can test the pump but I'm not sure about this...

I have the corsair 850 HX... I have read to put a paper clip connecting the green wire to one of the ground wires (Black)? Does anyone know if this will hurt my PSU?

Is the only other option to fully connect everything back into the MB? Like HDD and Optical and everything? Please let me know the "trick" and if not then what I need to do... thanks for any help guys :D

Use a paper clip to short the green wire to any black wire (check on this... I'm not 100% sure) but I would recommend using a spare PSU. Turning the PSU off and on repeatedly isn't that great for it... I think I killed my old 750 TX like that as it died about one day after I was setting up my w.c system

Ok I don't have a spare psu... So I'm thinking just install everything back in the case and run the test from there?... I don't need to have a monitor hooked up... just the case and that's it... lots of paper towels around everything to catch a leak... I'll be sitting next to it all night watching movies so its all good lol... I'm not going to put a paper clip in if it's gonna mess my psu up...

Update:

So the paper clip works! The green wire and the black one to the left of it. Loop is running and there are no noticeable signs of a leak... paper towel is around everything so we will see here in a couple of hours...

MOST power supplies you can just hook the green wire to any ground which is black, most prefer a ground right beside it, but, they all go to the same place.

Some power supplies you need to have a slight load on it in addition to this, but your water pump and cooling fans will give it this load it may need. Just do NOT let w/e you use to connect the wires to touch anything in the case, I usualy use a paper clip.

The green to black trick should work on any ATX PSU. The green wire is basically the power switch for the PSU, the motherboard uses it to turn on the PSU by shorting it to ground, the same thing you're doing with a paperclip. Any black wire should work as they all tie to the same point inside the PSU.

I've heard that some PSU's need a small load, but I've never seen one where this is the case. If anything the internal fan is enough load to make the PSU turn on.

Thanks for the input guys :D Yeah I am running the loop right now with the 3 fans on the rad hooked up to the psu... everything is going smoothly :D Just checked and no leaks so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom