I don't know much about computers so please pardon my ignorance, but I am trying to learn
I was thinking about buying a new computer to replace my Dell Dimension 8250, and my friend suggested that I build one. Like I said before, I know next to nothing about computers, but I am mechanically inclined and I definitely think I could figure it out, and I enjoy building things so I'd rather do this then just get a computer that's already put together
I would use this computer for playing the new games that are coming out now like Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc. and I also play Counter-Strike, and games like the Command and Conquer series. I also surf the web, download music, movies, other basic stuff like that.
I already have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers from my Dell, I assume I can reuse those. I like them, so I'd rather not spend the money on new ones if I don't have to.
I know that I need:
1. A case (doesn't have to be anything fancy, I don't really care if it has flashing lights and windows and all that other stuff)
2. Power supply
3. RAM (I think 1 gig should be enough, is that correct?)
4. Processor (I've heard AMD is better than Intel)
6. Graphics card (my friend suggested nvidia 6600, but I looked at Circuit City and Best Buy today and neither had it)
7. Cooling systems
8. Hard drive
9. CD rom/burner (dvd playibility isn't really necessary)
10. Operating system (windows xp seems to work fine for me, any reason not to keep using it?)
What would be the cost for all these parts? If I could do this for $800-$1000 that would be great. Thanks alot for taking the time to read/respond to this