Too Much Over/Underclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack

Baseband Member
Heyyo,

I was just wondering if it can be a bad thing to underclock your card everynight before to decrease heat output, and then turn the speed back up to normal in the morning. I don't think this can be a problem, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
- Flappy

Jacking around with the gfx cards settings and timings can screw up a card.

If you're talking about changing speeds within a safe zone (either on the low end, or your max stable OC) can you show proof? Because that doesn't make any sense.

I think as long as your changes are fine with the card (as in it still runs) then everything is fine. If it didn't like the settings, it would stop responding and a restart would be required.

Heyyo,

I was just wondering if it can be a bad thing to underclock your card everynight before to decrease heat output, and then turn the speed back up to normal in the morning. I don't think this can be a problem, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
- Flappy
No, there's nothing wrong with lowering the settings back down to stock (or lower, if you know for sure that it is stable) settings nightly.

As a side note: when your computer starts, it is loaded with stock core speed of the GPU. It is not until you've entered Windows and it has loaded the main software drivers does your actual overclock take effect anyway. If you think about it like that, then depending on how often you restart your computer, your GPU settings get changed quite a bit as it is :p

Peterhuang913 said:
Jacking around with the gfx cards settings and timings can screw up a card.
How do you figure? If you're changing parameters to known, safe, stable values, I don't see how doing it constantly would have any effect. Like KingAustin said: If it ever got sick of being played with (or if you clock too high), it would simply freeze up or BSOD.

Yeah well I overclocked too much...and now I have to underclock by about 20-30Mhz just to not get artifacts and/or have my whole screen go funky. And I turn it down more before I go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom