Too Loud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hele

Solid State Member
I have a sony PCV-RS720G computer. I didnt add any new hardware to it except a wireless router.
I had the computer for about three months, the first 2 months was ok. Then, just a few weeks ago, the fan started to acting weird. Now when I play games or anytime my CPU usage gets above 50%, the fan will start running like crazy. The usual fan speed is about 2000-2500 rpm but now its closing to 4500 rpm when I play games. It happens in ALL games, no matter how much the resources the games need. Even in games like Tradewind, etc. The fan is so loud I can barely hear the sound of the game.
The sony support people told me restore the system, reset the bios, and check the fan. I did all that and the fan is appearing in good condition with no visable defects.
Now the problem persists and it is really annoying. I download speedfan but that doesnt seem to do much at all.
So, should I get a another fan? or how do I limit the fan rpm so its not so loud? So how to I get the fan to be quieter and less annoying?:bald:

Thanks for all the help...

When you put load on the CPU it gets hotter so the fans get faster causing more noise. What I did was make it run at full speed all the time, you get use to it.

Seeing as you don't like the noise, if you go into the BIOS search around, there will be the option to limit the fan speed or when the CPU goes over a certain temperature, it will spin faster, just make the bounderies futher apart.

Or you could get really quiet fans, but than they don't push as much air.

Or you could get a better heatsink, and make the CPU cooler, and last longer.

But when I first had the computer, it wasnt like this...the fan rpm was never above 2500 rpm even when I play games....but now, something strange is happening...and the fan sounds like its going to explode.....:eek:

This happened to me recently.

The reason that your fan sounds like a vacuum or a freight train is because your CPU is speeding up to compensate all of the heat.

The main cause that it has to compensate the heat is because of a dust build-up on the HSF. The dust blocks the openings in the HSF. So that equals less air flow around the CPU, more heat, and the HSF kicking into overdrive to compensate.

Buy a can of canned air.
To fix the problem, take the case cover off, blow out the CPU HSF.

Make sure that you don't void the warrenty by opening the case.

It is also summer as well, which for people above the equater means it gets hotter.

alright, i will try to open my case and blow out the air and hopefully the sound will improve......but if that doesnt work, does that mean I am screwed and should and get a new fan? my temps are all around 110 F (49 C) and shoots up to 140 F(60~61 C) during games...is the temp a little too hot?
P.S- we keep our air condition around 75 F...
Tha

A normal temp for a prescott is anywhere from 30-45c idle and 45-65 full load.

But clearing out the dust should make it much more quieter and cooler.

My cpu is intel 4 HT 3.0 Ghz with 800 Mhz bus speed....so what would be the normal opearating temp? and how high can it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom