Toggle all performance tweaks on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizz

Beta member
Hey all,

I'm using Pro Tools LE to record/edit music on a PC (Windows 7) instead of a Mac. It runs every bit as good as Pro Tools for Mac.... when it's working. Whenever I get errors or something isn't working right, I contact Avid (Pro Tools' parent company) Support, and they give me a laundry list of Pro Tools-specific performance tweaks (6 pages) to make, and insist that I make them before they offer any real assistance. Thing is, many of these tweaks make the computer essentially unusable for other tasks (ex. one of the tweaks is to disable the network card!).

What I'd like to do is figure out a way to toggle between a 'Pro Tools performance profile' and a 'General use performance profile.' My initial thought was to create a separate account just for Pro Tools, but changes to Device Manager appear to carry over between accounts. :-s

Here is the list of performance tweaks: Avid - Windows Guide - Windows 7 Optimizations and Troubleshooting.

If anyone has any ideas for how I can accomplish this, or at least make switching back and forth easier, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance,
Grizz

Thanks for the reply, Sniper_13. That program looks pretty slick, but from what I could tell from the screen shots, there's not much in the way of customization. Since the tweaks I need to make are pretty specific, I think I'm out of luck there. :-s

If you or anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears. I'm starting to think some sort of custom script may be necessary...

You could create a custom user profile for each set of tweaks. You log on as a different user for each game or application.

You could create a custom user profile for each set of tweaks. You log on as a different user for each game or application.

That's what I had tried originally, but some of the tweaks require changes in Device Manager, which isn't profile specific, unfortunately. :-s

Well there's always making a powershell script, which is fairly simple to make. i could help you out if needed.

Hmm... that sounds promising. I'm not much of a programmer, and I'm not really familiar with powershell, but I do know DOS pretty well, generally speaking. ...from what I can tell of powershell, that will come in handy. That said, I'm not really sure where to begin (aside from downloading and installing it of course, which I just did). Any suggestions?

Well get firmiliar with some basic code with powershell, you can find tons of documentation on microsoft for it, or even on this website >> Master-PowerShell | With Dr. Tobias Weltner - Powershell.com

Heres a simple command to stop a process >> Using the Stop-Process Cmdlet

and to start one >> Start-Process

you could use the simple command line and just specify all the processes you need to stop, which is the simple no brainier and it will work way. honestly it will work, you could stick it in a script file and run it every time you need to do whatever and then make one for starting them all up again (which all you have to do is change stop to start) and your flying

Awesome. Thanks man. I found a couple labs on MS TechNet that I think will be pretty helpful too. There's one on the basics and one on scripting. I've started on the 'Basics' one and am surprised to learn that a lot of this stuff is familiar. I guess I've just been using aliases in DOS all these years. Who knew?

So thanks again! I'll post back here once I start making some progress on the script. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom