Tiny OC... Big Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Im overclocking my Radeon HD 5850. When i overclock it by 5mhz my second screen freaks out and flickers on mouse clicks, scrolling, anything to do with user input basically. I use the ATI Catalyst Control Center, ive tried MSI Afterburner, nothing they both end up doing the same. Ive used the auto tune with ATI CCC and the same thing happened, so i figured id test the 5mhz OC as i mentioned above and the same thing happens. So ive done my research and read that it has to do something with the fact that the idle clocks drop to below 400 while the memory stays around normal, which causes the screen to flicker... Ive also read that using HDMI can contribute to this. Anyone know a solution to this? Im using the most recent v11.8 drivers from ATI. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

Just don't overclock it.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but if you need extra performance then sell the card and upgrade it.

lol...Hi Pete! Its Erob. <3

I just hate the idea of all the wasted potential on this card because of something like drivers...BUT Id rather go with another 5850 and run it in xfire, instead of going balls to the wall and get a dual gpu gtx 580 or HD 6970. Another 5850 will go punch for punch with a 580/6970 or at least come very close and i can get one for 3/4 the price of a 580/6970. I have a feeling that since my existing card runs crysis 2 on very high, a second one will keep me playing future games for a while. Let me know what you think, im open to ideas.

hahahhahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhahahahahahahah erob. what's good man. I forgot you registered on these forums way back when.

but it sounds like it's artifacting a little or is just generally unstable. Is there a way you keep the card from idling, see if that's the issue or use DVI. I can't imagine that using the HDMI would cause screen flicker if the OC is stable. Other than that is the card an overclocked version or just stock.

if all those things don't change anything then try and increase the voltage, I'm pretty sure you can either flash the bios to get into voltage controls or you can just do the good ol' fashioned pencil mod.

if your board and psu can support xfire then you should be able to pick up a pretty cheap 5850 on somewhere like hardforums or anandtech which would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom