time for another 165 vs. x23800 thread :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default time for another 165 vs. x23800 thread :)

Ive done a fairly good job, imo, of ocing my current system but its just not enough to quench my thirst. My mobo is great for beginners but just wont deal out the high oc's. Im going to be a lemming and get the DFI lanparty nf4 -u just because it will be more giving but im stuck on processor choices. I know the opty will oc to abotu 2.7 on air (if lucky) and the x2 prob 2.5-2.6. My quandry is this, the opty has 1.8 mhz stock yet 1m cache but a x9 multi. The multi seems dauting therefore requiring some great ram or a high divider The x-2 2.0 mhx but lower oc's yet the x10 multi but 512 cache. I can oc but alot of the technical stuff and what really will make my decision just escapes me. I can't tell which of these factors will be the best decision. Thanks for help.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

My 165 is at 2.85GHZ, 317x9. Air cooling.

so, umm, err yeah
Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

go with the 165 if your going to OC, no point in going with a x2 3800, thats for people that dunno how to OC or dunno about hte opty 165. like i WAS, but now i do no. well i will learn how to OC, but i do no that opty is better, lol.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah the 9x multiplier needs really good ram, but the opteron has a bigger cache and can go higher in ghz. I would recommend an opteron. I would definetely trade my x2 3800 for an opteron lol.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i wanted an Opty 165 but i couldn't quite afford it i was at a stretch to get the x2 and the opteron was significantly more expensive than the 3800+ here at the time. i reccomend the opty
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Closed Thread