thingy on bottom of heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think that is thermal compound. If so then yes, you don't need thermal paste. That does the same job.

Its a wax compound they use on heatsink's, but it sucks. If i where you i would scrap it off with a credit card or license, then take isopropyl alcohol and rub on the base to make sure its good and clean then add some good thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5....

That's actually a 'Thermal Pad' not a compound. Almost like rubber....melts when hot, solidifies when cold. For best performance I'd suggest using 99% isopropyl alcohol and a plastic edge, credit card or something, scraping off the thermal pad and using AS5 or something along those lines.

EDIT: lol charles beat me to the post :D

The thermal pads aren't bad unless you want to OC. By the way, if you ever remove the heatsink for any reason after running the PC, make sure you clean all the pad off the heatsink and processor with alcohol and re-apply thermal compound (artic silver 5 as mentioned above) or those temps won't stay that low for long after reinstalling the heatsink.

Arctic Silver 5 is good stuff. For a fey days now I have been running prime 95 on my 3000+ for 12 hours and then shutting off the computer for the next 12 hours and so forth to break in the compound. My temperatures have been dropping and after 3 days they are now at 21C idle and 28C load.

gosh darn what kind of cooling system? If air whats the room temp?

Charles, you really need to cut back with profanities such as those. Don't use it again

Arctic Silver 5 with Zalman 7700-Cu 120mm
room temp is like 19.5 C

I'm thinking the temps are about low enough to start overclocking now. Would like to put it to 2.4 ghz is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom