Thermaltake devloping affordable phase change unit - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default Re: Thermaltake devloping affordable phase change unit

Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Why wait until you have ddr3 and 1600FSB. My quad runs at 1600FSB
Gnarly! Good job.

Originally Posted by NosBoost300 View Post
not natively like the qx9770! lol

i'm guessing thats what he was referring to

Haha, yes sir, that is what I was talking about.

Over the past couple years I've gotten more and more into overclocking and watercooling. Now that I have a good loop I'm thinking about stepping it up once I get more experience and stuff down.

I'll go phase with a nice Mountain Mods Case . I'd like to go for, well not world records obviously, can't say I have enough cash flow to spend THAT much on procs and cooling, but I would like to start pushing the higher end intel 45nm quads to their limits.

Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
Old 03-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Default Re: Thermaltake devloping affordable phase chaning unit.

Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
I pretty sure ANYTHING below 70C load is good. What difference is there between the cpu running at 0 and -50?
it can be the difference between having a world record overclock, and not having a world record overclock.

Also, phase change units, unlike water or air cooling, tend to have a discrete limit to how much heat they can transfer at once.

while water and air are less efficient at pulling heat off the CPU per given surface area, their heat dissipation fits a curve. the hotter they are (especially relative to the air and/or water temperature), the more heat they dissipate at once

It should look roughly like this:

the water and air cooling lose efficiency when their temperature approaches the ambient room temperature
but the phase cooling has a ceiling.

The better the phase cooler, the higher the ceiling

Closed Thread