Thermalright Ultra-120 + Armor questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lapped both the cpu and heatsink. Like i said, i only used 400grit. You want flat, any scratches and such are small enough that the TIM will fill them.

So when lapping the CPU, do you just do it in the same fashion as you would with the heatsink?

Basically. Just put the little cover over the bottom and go at it. I did about 15-20 passes, then turned it 90 degrees and repeated. Keep a razor blade handy and once its flat to your satisfaction let it dry thoroughly and reinstall.

Basically. Just put the little cover over the bottom and go at it. I did about 15-20 passes, then turned it 90 degrees and repeated. Keep a razor blade handy and once its flat to your satisfaction let it dry thoroughly and reinstall.

Thanks, veedubfreak. I'll purchase another lapping kit and crack on with it this weekend.

Well today I went ahead and lapped the CPU, got it to a nice mirror finish, used the polishing kit that came with the lapping kit, put on some Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound and placed the CPU and TRUE back in my case...

...and guess what, its made my temps worse! Before I lapped the CPU and only had the heatsink lapped, I was getting around 33c idle, now, I'm getting 36-37c idle!

Maybe its because I haven't given the compound chance to cure, but then again XM-2 doesn't need curing, apparently...

...its starting to pee me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom