Thermalright Ultra-120 + Armor questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
hi all,

I've just installed my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cooler into my Thermaltake Armour (with 25cm side fan) into my rig....

Now, there's a couple of things I'm not 100% happy with..

1. Even though the spring-screws are securely (and very tightly!) screwed into the brackets on the motherboard, the cooler is still "moveable", in other words, if you grip the cooler, it can be moved on an angle. I've tried tightening the screws as much as I can...is it just a common thing with the cooler, since its so big?

2. Although the Ultra-120 fits into the Armor, the 25cm fan protrudes somewhat, this puts a lot of pressure on the top of the cooler, can you buy 25cm fans with a slightly "thinner" base for the Armor? So there would be room between the fan and the top of the cooler?

3. Also, and this is probably just impatience, but I'm noticed since I installed the new cooler (with Arctic MX-2) there's been a sinificent rise in temps by about 8-9c, is this normal, since the compound has just been applied? Am I not giving it enough time to "cure"? I'm also combining the cooler with a Scythe 120mm (1600rpm) fan.

Thanks all.

1. This has been an issue with the TRUE ever since it came out. I myself can move the cooler, even if it is tightly screwed down. But it should not be a problem, because you won't be moving it on purpose, right? I just leave mine alone. Nothing has happened ever since.

2. Not sure about that. Check out performance-pcs.com. I think I saw them selling 250mm fans.

3. That could be it. That the thermal paste has not set in yet. Pretty big increase though. But give it a week. If things have not improved, reinstall and reapply.

Thanks, b1gapl.

Yeah, I'm looking at Core Temp now and I'm getting temps of 40c and 37c, it seems to be creeping up slowly everytime I look at it.

I applied a very small amount of compound to the base of the cooler and the CPU, however, because the Ultra-120 is a pain to install, I did have to lift it off the CPU several times before I managed to seat it correctly, do you reckon that has anything to do with the temp increase?

I think the cooler maybe seating incorrectly, although I doubt it. I've got the 120mm fan blowing air towards the back on the case, towards the exhaust fan.

I'll give it a week to see if my temps improve, if not, I'll reapply, as you said.

*edit*Come to think of it. I didn't apply the MX-2 properly. In other words, I didn't use the "dot" method. (I spread the compound, rather than putting a blob in the centre and twisted heatsink).

I think thats where I've gone wrong, will reapply compound tomorrow and let you know....

Come to think of it. I didn't apply the MX-2 properly. In other words, I didn't use the "dot" method. (I spread the compound, rather than putting a blob in the centre and twisted heatsink).

I think thats where I've gone wrong, will reapply compound tomorrow and let you know....

Yeah that would do it.

According to Arctic Silver, for quad core processors, they recommended that the thermal paste be applied like so...
quadthermalapplicationyz9.jpg

Yeah, although mines Core 2 Duo, e6600.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

So would I be better using a line or a dot method? Or would either suffice?

Another question I have, b1gapl, which is the best way to mount the 120mm on the cooler? Should I have it pulling air out (so its mounted near the exhaust fans) or should I have it mounted so it pulls air into the heatsink?

Pulling air into the heatsink. You can also use the push pull method, where you mount two 120s on the TRUE.

I imagine either line or dot method would work, but from my experience, a line works better.

Pulling air into the heatsink. You can also use the push pull method, where you mount two 120s on the TRUE.

I imagine either line or dot method would work, but from my experience, a line works better.

Cool, so basically, with one fan you attach it to the fins that are on the opposite side to the fins nearest the exahaust fans, and have the airflow going into the heatsink (fan sticker side pointing towards back of case)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom