Thermal Probe Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Smee

Baseband Member
Ive got a new case and it has a display wid the Thermal readouts. I wish to install these Thermal Probes (It Has 3) as Follows:
1. On CPU
2. On Grafics Card
3. In Case

And i have absolutly no clue how to install them and where to put them plz explain where and how to intall each of theses thermal probes in there desired area (in the safes possible way i dont wanna damage my new ATI 9800xt).

Thanks heeps

El_Smee

For the CPU: You have two options. You can place the thermal probe underneath the cpu, meaning you would have to remove the cpu from the socket, put the thermal probe there, and manage to put the wires between the pins on the socket. Depending how wide the wires are, this might be quite inconvenient. What I did is put the thermal probe on the side of my heatsink, as close to the cpu area as possible. The read out is not quite as accurate, but it will give you a good general idea. (I like to add about 5-9 deg. celsius to the readout.) DO NOT PLACE THE PROBE BETWEEN THE HEAT SINK AND THE CPU.
For the vid card: You could place the probe anywhere on the card. I would suggest putting it as close as possible to the gpu core. I put mine on the opposite side of where the core is. I have my case probe just hanging in the case, not touching anything. Just make sure that no fan is blowing directly on it, or the readout wont be accurate.
To actually hold the thermal probe in place i used some thermal tape. Good luck!

I don't know how well putting the probe on the back of the graphics card will read out. The back doesn't get near as hot as the front so you might get WAY off readings with that. I've seen a picture where one guy straight took a dremel to the socket and etched in a straight line lol. It looked gruesome and I shuddered at the thought, but he made it work. I would NOT suggest doing that though. If you can't get it underneath your CPU just do like he suggested and try to get it in the middle of the heatsink and assume your CPU is about 10 degrees hotter than what is showing. That's about the best you can do

just stick it on there :D Guess the ontop of the metal plate of the HD would be the best spot.

For the video card, place the probe directly behind the GPU (on back of card).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom