Thermal Paste question

Status
Not open for further replies.

_SomeOne_

In Runtime
I just received my thermal paste and im not 100% sure how to apply it.

Last time i just put a pea size blob on the middle of the processor and then put my heatsink on.
My brother just put some on yesterday but he used a card to spread it out (thin layer)

Iv looked on the internet and they say never spread it out.. and some say spread it out.. so i was just wondering what you guys do?

Thanks

There's various ways of applying it, and they're all fine basically.
There's the pea-sized blob method, where you use the heatsink to press it out.
There's the card-spreading method, where you press it out yourself.
There's the multiple-little-blobs method, which is like the pea-sized blob one but more diffuse - used to make sure you get the edges as well.

I prefer to use the third one - that guarantees there'll be no gaps, which there might be if you're not perfect with the card-spreading method, and you're more likely to get the whole area (no uncovered edges).

I think im gonna go with the card method.. that way i can see where its going.. cause i could put too on method #1 and #3 and it could go over the edge.. thats what happened last time and it wasnt even spreaded every where

thanks

What brand of paste did you buy? Different pastes come in various viscosities and the application method used can make a difference. Arctic Silver 5 is the only paste I would spread with a card. With most pastes I use the third method listed above.

Agreed, that's the consensus of this forum :) I bought some TX-2 yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom