thermal paste NEEDED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

briansmith84

Solid State Member
do i HAVE to put thermal grease on my pentium d 3.0? i have a silent 775 and i heard that typically its not needed with fans that have a flat heatsink bottom

whats the deal?

All heatsinks are flat to make contact with the CPU. Yes you have to put thermal paste on the heatsink.

YES. shoot whoever told you that it isn't necessary. unless you lapped the HSF base yourself then it is unlikely to be perfectly flat. i guarantee you if you look through the documentation you should have received with your processor it will say something along the lines of "note: thermal interface material must be used between the heatsink and the processors heat spreader". i don't see why on earth you would skimp on a few dollars just because it may be "unnecesary" (false). you don't have to put petrol in your car but it certainly makes driving a lot easier ;)

if i booted the comp with now heatsink on it and turned it off after 3 seconds it wont do anything to the processor right? because it is made to shut off if it gets too hot anyways right?

no the fan is temperature controlled so that when its a certain temp its off and when its hotter it spins up, the hotter the faster

oops. my fault. i meant to say i booted it w/o fan and heatsink because i kept thinking when i put it on it was moving the processor slightly or tightening too hard on it (i have no choice. its a tt silent 775 thats a ***** to install). so yeah, with no heatsink or fan i booted for 3 secs and turned off. wouldnt it still be fine? doesnt mb know if processor is too hot?

Should be fine... But you can easily burn a processor in a few seconds with out a heatsink... Less than a second on my old AMD and it fried... Just a little test I was doing...

lol... my P4 Prescott survived three times bootup without a heatsink, don't ask me why I even tried, lol ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom