Thermal Pad or Thermal Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARTIC SILVER 5 is fantasic. I scrap off all thermal pads on new LGA775 heatsinks and completely clean them with alcohol. Then apply a half grain of rice worth of AS5 to the CPU die, lower the HS down on top of the CPU and twist it halfway in one direction and then back halfway in the other direction. Then facen the HS to the MOBO. This has always worked great for me. SOME people suggest using a hard plastic object like a creditcard to evenly spread the thermal paste of the CPU die. I don't like the method. Mine works just fine.

better cooling for the cpu isn't gonna change the fact that your room has sh!tty ventilation. If anything it'll make it worse by displacing more heat from the cpu. 60 degrees is bad though, I hope thats under load temp.

use 99% isopropyl alcohol. That's what the member up near the top was trying to recommend. Use a credit card or something with a nice soft plastic edge, DO NOT use a knife...you don't want to scratch up the heatsink.

Once you got the thermal pad off, then apply some AS5 moderately. A nice evenly coated thin layer on the CPU core is all that's needed don't glob it on.

My 2400+ would run 64C idle...I shutter to think what it used to get up to at full load.

well i moniter it when im playing online games it still sits on 60 C and i have air con on in my room the system temp drops to 36 C to 40 C but cpu still heats like shit!

Do i clean the core of the cpu cause it has sum thermal pad on it ? could i clean this with a cotton bud?

You dont need a fancy case for good airflow. I have possibly the cheapest, flimsiest, POS case in existince, but with 1 120mm in the front, 2 80mm in the back, and a fan controller to pump em up a little, my ambient temps inside the chassis kick ass.

EDIT: Not to say that side fans and blowholes dont help, they do.. but they arent essential, IMO

Yeh i made a hole in the side for a fan but atm i have 80mm at the back runs about 2000rpm and the front 80mm runs 3000 above rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom