thermal pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimReaper23

Fully Optimized
thermal pad on my CPU Is stuck on there pretty well so what all of your guys's tips on removing the heatsink and not the Cpu (ripping it out of socket)?

You can try just ripping it out. Out of all times that I have done that by mistake, I am have only bent pins once.

Otherwise, is you can jam a flat edge screw driver in between the CPU and the Heatsink, you can get it off. Be extremly careful with it.

You might need to remove the Motherboard from the Case.

AND USE THERMAL PASTE NEXT TIME!!!! :cool:

yes be careful! you dont want to slip and damage the traces around the CPU..... that would be bad

I always wiggle the heatsink around to make sure there's no strong bond, then use the screwdriver trick. Next time use thermal grease!

Ryan

well I would use thermal paste but I don't have an aftermarket HS so I just used the stock since I am not goona OC yet till I get a nice HS OR Watercooling. I have the AS5 but that cancels out the warrenty so if the CPU messed up for any reasons that I have the stock HS and not the AS5 then I am screwed so I left it on there till I get a better HS. Also I got a 3200+ Venice How do I figure out what week it is again?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but try taking it out when you just shut off the computer.

^^huh? I don't think you'd want to take it out with the computer on.

Technically, the AS5 does void warrenty, but the thing is that all you have to do is wipe it off when you send it back. They won't be able to tell the difference. I have my processor overclocked and I have stock cooling, except for the thermal grease. I maxed out my motherboard's speed. I set it to 250, which puts me just above 3500+ speeds. I didn't even upgrade the cooling...

Ryan

This is the first time I have seen this problem on an AMD Athlon.
Lost count the number of times I have seen this on Prescotts.

Richard said:
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but try taking it out when you just shut off the computer.

He means to take off the heatsink immediately after you've shut down the computer (Do some CPU intensive work, such as running Prime95). Doing this heats up the thermal pad, thus making it easier to remove.

beardo526 said:
He means to take off the heatsink immediately after you've shut down the computer (Do some CPU intensive work, such as running Prime95). Doing this heats up the thermal pad, thus making it easier to remove.
Yea that is what I was thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom