thermal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
ive just got sum artic silver 5 for my o/c 2600 xp. its got the stock coolermaster stuff on already and its too hot, around 50 on a jet 7 :( i wanna take the old stuff off and put the new on safely. ive read

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

does any1 know a url for a video of how to do it would be great if not a really gud aritical would be nice.

thanks ppl

its a paste, not a tape or pad. its the stuff that came with my jet 7 so i duuno anythin about it. white if tha helps :s

thanks

No... but let me fill you in on a little secret.

Once the old stuf has been cleaned off and youre ready to apply AS5 to the core of your processor- take 4 pieces of scotch tape and create a little perfect square on it. that way you know you wont slop thermal paste all over.

Just put a little and use a piece of plastic (credit card) to smooth it. You need less than you think you do. Make it paper thin.

in order to take the old stuff off, take some rubbing alchol, or nail polish remover... put it on a paper towl and just wipe off the old stuff. DONT PUT THE ALCHOL DIRECTLY ON THE CPU. What they say to do with the Artic silver, is to just put a tiny bit on there. Not a lot. Only put it on the CPU not the heatsink also. One more thing... too much artic silver can make your cpu run even hotter...

yea when shrap says paper thin, literally use a paper thin layer, when i first applied some AS a couple months ago i put on a little more than a paper thin layer and the temps dropped.. but it was hardly noticable, i took it off and re-applied such a thin layer, now it's very cool...

ALso, they reccomend that everytime u take off the CPU fan, u should apply a new coat of thermal grease on it.

True, and don't forget my top tip - rotate (gently) the Cooler onto the CPU to help smear out and fill in the air gaps

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom