thermal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
im gettin sum new artic silver 5 to replace my stock coolermaster rubbish for my jet 7, does any1 know the best way to remove the old stuff totally without damaging the chip i heard summit bout paint thinner but that sounds like it couold cause harm tbh.???

try and find yourself a non static non lint rag or something along the lines of that...and just wipe it off...a dish would work but just dont go crazy with it...but other than that its simple...good luck

Be a bit careful with it, but something like nail varnish remover used in VERY small quantities, used with the above mentioned rag is effective.

plain old rubbing alcohol will do you just fine.. and use a cue-tip to wipe it off... then just blow on the die to make sure no cotton is stuck heh... you can use a lintless rag if you want, doesn't matter though.. now.. when you seat the hsf on the chip, best to always take it back off to see if it seated properly on the chip, meaning that the compound has been displaced evenly... if not, add more, remove more, whatever... also you want almost a paper thin layer, perhaps a smidge thicker.. when you check your temps, and you think they're too high, try removing a little comound

I used rubbing alcohol with q-tips to clean off several cpus. It work fine, just make sure it is dry before you reinstall.

i dont really have a plentiful supply of pure alcohol tbh. got beer but thats bout it ;) anythin else i could use thats easy to get ahold of?

I used rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. Just use that and it should be fine. But nail polish remover is good too. For putting the thermal greese on, Dont put a lot on. Only put what it says to put on i think like a dab. If you put too much on, it will effect the cooling.

Isopropyl Alcohol. It can be purchased at.... pretty much anywhere with a pharmaceutical section for under a dollar.

Put it on an old clean rag and wipe away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom