I just got my new computer.

Asus a7v600
Amd Athlon xp 2600+ 333fsb 512cache
512ram ddr400 HYNIX BRAND???
stock cooling
Ati Radeon 9600pro
80gb sata maxtor 8mb cache HDD.
300w psu (looking to upgrade)

Idle my temps are 48 load my temps are 54 degrees celcius.
Are these temps too high. i am overclocking to a 174mhz bus. and my multiplyer is locked ar 11.5 so i am running at 2002Mhz.
I am looking at getting a thermaltake volcano 11 or Coolermaster jet7.

I also have a window case with 1 fan in window, and 1 in the back also 1 fan in the psu, which direction should the fans blow.

Thansk for your help u am new to modding and overlcocking.

It is my opinion that those temps are acceptable but, you should invest in an aftermarket heatsink/fan for your CPU. That with some good thermal paste like artic silver should bring down those temps.

Also, it would be a good idea to get some more fans. The fan on the side of your computer should blow in then the one on the back should blow out. Personally, i have modified my case to accept a 120mm fan on the side (~50 CFM) and then i put two fans on the bak that blow out. Finally i have one PCI fan that plugs into a pci slot and blows air out as well. I just think that you should have the same volume flowing in as you have flowing out of the case. :)

If you are getting a new heatsink, I would recommend lapping it. It will drop the temp by a few degrees.

lapping is polishing the bottom of the heatsink with a very fine material. this is done to improve heat tranfer by making better surface-to-surface contact with the heatsink core and the processor die. really though most heatsinks that have copper cores are machined to a mirror finish so its not neccessary on them. you get about 1-3C drop in temps i think and if you screw it up you can make it worse.\

for overclocking basics:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?threadid=20942

Really, i didn't know that you can make it worse. It is really hard to mess up with lapping. By the way even though they say it has a mirror finish, there are still uneven parts in the heatsink, because it is made by a machine.

Here's what I do, as far as lapping goes. 800grit wet/dry sand paper to remove the heavy machine marks. Then a metal polish like metal magic or neverdull. This produces a finish you could shave in. I did this on my stock cooler for my 2.6 w/ht and the temp dropped 6 degrees.

Hi probably a dumb question but how do you guys know what temp CPU is running at? Or are you checking air temp inside the whole case? TomW

nope. Its the actual CPU temp. You can do it by Getting a program that tells u ur CPU temp... Or you can get a temp probe and put it on ur CPU and that will tell u ur CPU temp. I actully have 2 probes. One on my water cooling to tell me my CPU temp and 1 on my case that tells me my case temp.

Crushzone said:
Here's what I do, as far as lapping goes. 800grit wet/dry sand paper to remove the heavy machine marks. Then a metal polish like metal magic or neverdull. This produces a finish you could shave in. I did this on my stock cooler for my 2.6 w/ht and the temp dropped 6 degrees.

yea use that sand paper. BUT MAKE SURE U USE A LOT OF WATER. If you dont then u will scratch it and make gashes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom