Temperature too high!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenace

Beta member
Hope someone can help, just upgraded my motherboard, ram and cpu. All working fine but I'm a little worried about the tempature that the cpu is giving out , the hsf is the amd retail one that came withe cpu, I took of the pad and replaced it with arctic silver. But I'm still getting a idle temp of 56c and a temp of 65c when playing modern games, also the case temp is 33c and room ambient temp is around 22c. These temps seem a little high, might upgrade the hsf to a Thermaltake Volcano 12. Will this get the high temps down, and what are normal idle/hard on temps for this cpu.

Hope someone can help

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+
Speed : 1.83GHz
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X-X
Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc VT8377 Apollo KT400 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz data rate)
adapter : NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

on mine its a palamino so its around 40, but yea anyways
just take off the paste on the processor/heatsink and reappy new
use paint thinner to effectively get the old paste off

Try what spfd said, also look into your hsf, i hear the newer amd's come with less than average hsf. You might want to look into getting better hsf.

but those amd chips dont overheat easily :)
so they dont require a good hsf

but the lower amds.. oh man..
lol i couldnt even overclock mine, the default speed had a problem :)

Hmm, my 2000+ runs at 44 under load (MB at 26), and upping the speed to 1933 only triggered a 2ºC increase, and I use a cheap $8 Coolermaster fan with generic thermal paste, in a well-circulated Chieftec case.

Hope someone can help, just upgraded my motherboard, ram and cpu. All working fine but I'm a little worried about the tempature that the cpu is giving out , the hsf is the amd retail one that came withe cpu, I took of the pad and replaced it with arctic silver. But I'm still getting a idle temp of 56c and a temp of 65c when playing modern games, also the case temp is 33c and room ambient temp is around 22c. These temps seem a little high, might upgrade the hsf to a Thermaltake Volcano 12. Will this get the high temps down, and what are normal idle/hard on temps for this cpu.

How is the airflow in the case there?

my mobo is always 10 C cooler then my cpu, which is good. if i run my cpu at 2ghz then it runs about 42 C during normal stuff and around 48 C when i start using cpu demanded apps. if i run it at 1.53ghz (the normal frequency for my processor) it runs at about 35 C under stress, which is always is

yes you are definately overheating. 65C is not normal under full load for that CPU. i own 2 machines with xp2500, i get average CPU at 45-55C under load. double check everything, did you remember to plug the cpu fan back into cpu_fan1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom