Temp Advice - i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to your temperatures that's just not true.

Thats kinda what i'm getting at, it seems nothing effects the temps. Stock clocks, Over clocked, cheap TP, less cheap TP, fan on 100%, NO fan...

no matter what i do, when i go into Prime95 or LinX they top over 80°c

and we can't feel any heat. even on the Heatsink when it says its at 90°c i feel nothing. it feels cold.

What are your temperatures at 2.66 GHz or the stock settings? What motherboard do you have? What heatsink are you using? What is the ambient room temperature? Can you post a picture of the inside of your case? Does your bios have a Voltage option dealing with VDroop or Load Line Calibration or something that sounds similar? If it does, what setting are you using? What speed is your memory running at? The memory controller is built into the cpu so the faster you run the memory the hotter the cpu gets. Can you post a CPU-Z screen of the Memory Tab.

Q: What are your temperatures at 2.66 GHz
A: This is less than 5 mins. running Prime95's Blend test

Capture2.png

Q: What motherboard do you have?
A: BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Q: What heatsink are you using?
A: Stock Intel i7 Cooler provided with CPU

Q: Can you post a picture of the inside of your case?
A: Sure can!
IMG_1407.jpg

Q: Does your bios have a Voltage option dealing with VDroop or Load Line Calibration or something that sounds similar?
A: This don't sound familiar, I could snap a few shots of the screen that deals with Voltage for you.
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Q: What speed is your memory running at?
A: When stock, it boots at 1067. When i overclock the CPU i set the memory to 1600Mhz

Q: Can you post a CPU-Z screen of the Memory Tab
A: Anything to help :)
Capture-1.png

Everything looks good. The CPU Temp in your bios isn't the actual cpu temperature. That reading is from a sensor located in the cpu socket on the mobo, directly below the cpu. The actual senors for the cpu's "core" temperatures are located in the cpu itself. So with that said, either your cpu is bad or the heatsink is bad or your just using to much paste.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I would remove the heatsink and clean the cpu and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and a soft, lint free cloth. Let it dry a few minutes. Now throw the Arctic Silver 5 in the trash and get your other paste, the cheap stuff. Put a small gob of the paste in the very center of the cpu. When I say a small gob I mean small, very little, 1/2 the size of a BB, or about the size of a paper match head or 1/2 of a single grain of dried rice. Don't Spread the Paste. I repeat, Don't Spread the Paste. Attach the heatsink (clean, with no paste on the heatsink), the weight of the heatsink will spread the paste for you. Make sure all (4) of the heatsinks locking tabs are securely fastened. Plug the fan in and see what happens.

If your temperatures are still bad I would contact the store you bought the cpu from and request an RMA, or if it's been more than 30 days I would contact Intel and request an RMA. And when you send the cpu back include the heatsink as you'll want a new one of those also.

I bought the CPU about 18 months ago so I don't think I could get it replaced.

Unless you know intel's return policy.

When I get home I'll record a quick video of me taking it off and re-applying the thermal paste so we can rule that out.

Would my warranty be void from OC'ing?

^yes, but no. Technically yes it will void your warranty, but it won't matter because they won't check (there's no easy way to check so they don't bother ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom