Taking Out the Spare PCI Slot Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Well, I have about 3 PCI slots free, which means the back of my computer have little slot blockers, that I can remove if I use up the slot. Fortunately, they are right next to my video card, which brings me to my question:

Should I take out my slot covers to allow more air to my video card and the whole computer? But here is the catch, the house is very dusty.

it may lower the temps, but only by a degree or two, and if your house is dusty, it will allow dust to get in. Also, be careful, i know people who have damaged bios's and other IC's by pulling them out.

it's not even going to lower temps at all....it's not like there's a fan working to pull air in through those slots.

Wayne - those are some either really dumb people are pretty damn careless ones... it practically takes effort to pull out a PCI cover to the point of breaking something like that within the computer

i dont think we are tallking about the same things. Im not talking about the covers that are screwed in place, im talking about those little metal ones you get in new cases semi stuck to the pci holes you need to twist out.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about as well.

Those are generally in cheaper cases which is pretty much the only ones I ever get.

I knew i read this somewhere and found it in my A+ cert manual it says:

The fan on the power supply gets rid of heat buildup in the system unit. If there is an open area on the case, especially on the back, the air cannot flow properly.

Drworm2005.

It is not going down the drain, A+ still has standerds. But I think yes if you take those off you lose the effect of cold air coming in from the front and warm are going out the back. I would just leave them on, I took mine off (I have a cheep Soyo case, hey it was free!) and I wish I could put them back on.

-Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom