Swapping comp from Micro to ATX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunapu

Solid State Member
Since adding a Radeon 9800 Pro to my Gateway comp, I'm getting force-shutdowns regularly. I assume this is bcause of the wimpy 160w PSU in the Micro tower. I noticed that a ATX case with a power supply can be purchased for the same price as a comparable Micro PSU - can I simply buy one of these and swap all the innards into the new case? Or will things not fit right?

Sorry if this is a silly query - I'm totally new to this.

Sure...the 9800 pro needs something like a 260psu to run...Yes just buy an ATX case w/ PSU, the only bad thing about that is the PSUs aren't very good, and also make sure that the ATX case supports the micro form factor of your motherboard.

Wow - thanks for the lightning fast post.

How can I tell if it accepts the Micro form factor? I've found several possibilities on newegg, for example, but don't see that specified.

Here's a fairly cheap case with a 350W PSU. It's Antec, so the PSU is a good one.
11-129-148-01.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129148

Thanks for the recommendation. Will that case accomodate a MicroATX mobo? Alternatively, is these some sort of adapter or something one can use to make it fit?

Yes, it will accomodate a microATX. Just install the stand-offs in the holes marked for microATX.

Would any of these work?

All of then would work.

Do the PSUs in them suck?

All of them but the Antec do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost any ATX case will handle a micro mobo without problems. And you won't need a micro PSU, because the micro PSU is made to fit in a micro case, but it does the same thing as a regular PSU.

i personally have the x-infinity and i love the case
psu wimped out on me after about a month but i had a bunch of crap in it
read the specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom