Suggestions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBear

Beta member
First off I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum, I've recently registered but have read alot of the posts specifically in this portion of the forum and found lots of valuble info.

As I have seen you do for others, I am looking for suggestions for a system upgrade. I have done some research on newegg and a few other sites and have a general idea of what I need/want, I'm just looking for some opinions/suggestions/comments.

I'm primarily looking to upgrade my current system (pIII 1ghz, 1gigram, ati rage graphics card)

I'm looking at upgrading to
-motherboard (intel mb retail)
-cpu (p4 3ghz(suggestions?), i'll take suggestions for amd; retail)
-hard drive (160gig wd or seagate)
-memory (1gig 512x2)
-psu (taking suggestions)
I'll be using an asylum gforce4 ti200 as a graphics card that I got dirt cheap.

I'll be using the computer for some gaming, basic applications, surfing the net, music....

I pretty much want a stable pc platform that will last for a few years, the only thing I would really upgrade will be the graphics card. I don't plan on OC'ing or anything crazy. I'm on a tight budget and am trying to keep the above upgrades to around $450 or less if possible. I already have everything else I need i.e. case, optical drives, fans...

sorry for the lengthy post, I hope thats enough info to get the ball rollin.

Thanks
Jason:D

AMD is the better choice in my opinion.

I would suggest a socket 939 3000+ or 3200+, the 3000+ is the best bang for your buck though. Any motherboards from abit, asus or MSI should be good enough for you, any PSU from thermaltake, Ultra, or Antec would be good, a 160GB SATA WD hard drive is a good choice, and two sticks of 512mb are also a good idea.

If you have any other questions, feel free to inquire within this thread. If you PM me, I will select specific parts for you to try and fit your budget tomorow, but I don't really feel like searching through newegg right now.

hmm this will be very hard
u need xp or you alrdy have it ;)
ok 160 gig hd will run 110 bucks or so
1 gig of ram value ram mind you will be 160
an amd proc i think the 2800 is about 120-150?
mobo cheap one is like 80 bucks
psu 50 bucks

think your need a bigger budget :(
or a lower your expectations

yes i already have xp;)

I know the budget is tight;I'll be going to a local computer show in LA at the end of Febuary (when I plan on building) were I am more in a position to bargin prices (not much, but maybe just enough), so I hope that will help a little.

I'm not set of cpu speeds, I'd be willing to get a 2.XX ghz cpu to save some cash. I'd just like something with a little more power than what I have and enough to run current programs/games.

I guess I can skimp and get a smaller hard drive, I can always use the hd that I am currently using which is 60gig (i think).

I'm currently looking at what my options are with an amd cpu/mobo.

Thaks for the comments, keep 'em commin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom