Strange issue w/ a MicroATX setup w/ watercooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ne0h

Beta member
Weird issue here. My CPU and GPU are both watercooled and run relatively cool, but for whatever reason when I start playing something taxing on the machine, IE: HL2, CS, Doom3, etc., the System Zone 2 temps go through the friggin roof. Machine reboots after they peak around 70C or so.

The sensor seems to be located on the board, behind where the processor is mounted, and I can't figure out for the life of me why the thing is heating up. Everything else in the box is ice cold and doesn't make a peep.

Specs are as follows:

Antec Aria Case
3.2ghz P4 (Prescott)
Intel D865GLC Mobo
1GB DDR400 Kingston
160 WD SATA HD
ATI Radeon 9800XT
SB Audigy
Zalman Reservator 1 w/ GPU block

I'm assuming throwing a fan on the area would work, but I really would rather not do that if possible. What I'd really like to know is why that area is heating up like an oven...there is nothing there to heat up...

TIA!

Actually, I'm sorry about this. However, I'm not surprised. Either the thermal sensor is busted and it is falsely detecting temperatures and causing your system to reboot.

Megadeth2 said:
Actually, I'm sorry about this. However, I'm not surprised. Either the thermal sensor is busted and it is falsely detecting temperatures and causing your system to reboot.

Yeah, that's another thing that I was thinking, although it seems if you throw a fan on the area it stabilizes. It might just be that the fan in the PSU isn't powerful enough to draw enough ambient heat out of that area...

Thx for the reply!!

Codeine said:
That must of been a pain in the rear with that micro ATX.

wasn't actually too bad, just a bit crammed. moving the thing on the other hand..that's a pain in the ass because you have to disconnect the hoses, unless you have another person to help you...

I would think about getting a mid-tower or full-tower. You would get some better temps. Im just recommending for the future. Water cooling plus some air cooling would really drop those temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom