Stealth Floppy Drive™!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Stealth Floppy Drive™! Now with tutorial!

Due to some major problem with my PC :( (don't ask! :zip: ), I had to buy some new parts sooner than expected. Basically, I'll build a new machine, keeping only my case, my 60Gb HD, my floppy drive and the DVD reader. Anyways, I'm finally having time to mod my case a little bit further, since I've removed all the internals while the new parts arrive.

This mod have been on my mind for a while, plus, I haven't ever seen this on the web yet. Introducing... (drum roll) The Stealth Floppy Drive™! :D

Closed:
StealthFloppy001.jpg

Opened:
StealthFloppy002.jpg

And yes, I can insert a disk just fine, even though it looks like the opened door could prevent it. I can close the door with a disk inside too: the eject button have enough space. If I had my way, I would remove the floppy drive, but it still has some use for booting... (quite very rarely though)

I did it yesterday, haven't took 2 hours... Cost: Free. (well, almost. :) ) Some Dremel work, a wood nail, a spare 3 1/2 face plate. I used a drop of hot glue just in case. I just hope the connectors on the new MB won't be in the way, since I had to recess my drive a little bit. (about 1 centimeter / 1/3 inches)

When I'll have my new computer up and running (next week, hopefully :cool: ), I'll post a tutorial on how to do it. What do you think? ;)

PS: Sorry for the low quality pics. And if you get red "x"s, sorry about that too, had to use my Angelfire account for the pics. Will try to fix the situation soon.

Seriously .. neat work .. looks professional ... I can't use the idea though ... don't have a floppy drive :D

i don't have any floppy either. that looks very professional, nice mod :) .... hey just thought, if you can do that with floppy you could still use that technique with cd-rom. cant wait for your tutorial

Thanks guys. Took some pics for my tutorial, just need to write a text in HTML and upload it, but it'll have to wait since I get and build my Athlon. I can't access my FTP server with the Macs we have at school...

As for stealthing CD drives this way, I'll think about it and try and make some plans. Should be doable, but not with a wood nail! :p But I think if I actually stealth those, I'll go the "traditionnal" way.

Here's some new pics of the stealth floppy. Yep, they're large, but only less than 30kb.

StealthFloppy004.jpg

StealthFloppy003.jpg

StealthFloppy005.jpg

Enjoy! :D

My Stealth floppy tutorial

Please feel free to comment. But keep in mind that:
1- English isn't my native language
2- It's my first tutorial ever
3- I had the idea (and requests) to write it after I stealthed my floppy.
4- It's kinda late right now

So constructive critisism is the way to go. ;)

1-Most people who speak English don't speak a second language, we thank you.
2-Better a first than none at all
3-I can see why, people probably laughed at you until they found it was done and awesome
4-It always is when you've finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom