Starting problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxious

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm new here but already like the place.

Anyways my reason for being here is I just built a computer:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset
Processor:AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Ram: 2 chips of Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
Video: ASUS ATI RADEON 9800PRO, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO
Floppy:Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive
CD-RW:Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive
DVD:Lite-On Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive
HD:Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
PSU:420watt

When I go to turn it on, the fans and leds start up for half a second, then nothing.. LED power indicator on the MoBo stays on though but I have to shut off the power to the power supply and turn it back on again to try again.

I am going to swap out a power supply and see that's the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? New to building. :freak:

it sounds like the PSU is overloading. Its a 420 watt and that seems plenty for what u have. Maybe its a defective PSU? what brand is it?

Update: Tried the PSU out of this computer but found it's only 150watt... so very weak and provided no info, but I wasn't thinking while I had it out there and didn't hook up other PSU to this comp and see if it would run it. So I will try that after I get up later.

PSU brand is Turbolink(?) I believe.

Also I DID get it to power up a few times before.. maybe 4 or 5 times randomly but can't get it to again.

That's my problem? 150watt is the PSU in the comp I am on currently not the one I am building. I guess I will know for sure when I wake up and connect the 420 to this junker and see if it powers it up. Until then, thanks for input.

The first time I ever tried to boot it up, it did as I described in the first post, and I messed with it a bit and got it to boot.. this was after taking out the Video Card.. but then it didn't work without card so I put it back in and then I got it to work with the card. Anyways after those few times (was few days ago) it never would again. After figuring it wasn't the PSU anymore I took it to a place to have them test each part, and conclusion is the MoBo is bad. :(

before you jump to conclusions that the motherboard is bad. Try it again check everything. Take it out and install the memory and cpu while its out then reinstall it. Doublecheck all the jumpers and ide cables make there is no cd in the drive. I short circuited my motherboard and it wouldnt work so i took it out but i reinstalled later after i was like i better just make sure and now it works better then ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom