spraying my case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
im spraying the indside of my case black, any precautions i/e spraying the mobo tray? is there any paints to avoid as they're conductive? cheers

Conductivity doesn't matter your case is metal for crying out loud. Thats what mobo standoffs are for.
Paints you find at an autobody shop will do the job just fine. Be sure to prime and sand!

lol i was just thinking of an example to make it easier to understand, so i sand it all before i spray?

Yes, sand it with 80 grit sand paper. You don't have to make it completely raw, just sand off most of it and make sure it's all rough and scratched so the paint can stick.

Then, take your spray and put a LIGHT coat of it. Don't get too close either, stay about 7 inches away from the case and put a light coat. If the paint is running down the inside, you put it way too thick and way too close.

Let it dry fully, and then put another light coat on. Do this 1 - 2 more times and then sand it with 800 grit sand paper, and then do a few more light coats. After that, sand it with really fine sand paper (like 2000 grit) and put some clear-coat on it to protect the finish. You can use semi-gloss if you want to give it a little shine.

Make sure you wait until each coat is fully dried before you do anything.

Honestly, a light sanding with 240 grit will suffice and be a lot smoother of a surface than tearing into it with 80 grit. Also you'll need to wipe down the inside with alcohol or use a high pressure air compressor to get rid of all the dust/sanding out of there. Nothing like spray painting over dust.

I've never painted a case. I guess it's probably softer metal than what I've painted. I've always started with 80 grit paper though.

The inside of most cases isnt painted at all, so theres no need to go with super rough sandpaper. And yes, its pretty soft as most cases are made from aluminum.

The inside of most cases isnt painted at all, so theres no need to go with super rough sandpaper. And yes, its pretty soft as most cases are made from aluminum.

correction, most cases are made from steel, aluminum is more dinero for nearly the same product, thus only enthusiasts really look for aluminum in a case, thus steel is used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom